A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th September 2015, 11:30 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Smile Insurance time again - saved loads!

So, the renewal notices for my S8 and my wife's mini came a few days ago and, at £364 for the '8 alone, I thought it was a bit expensive - so off I went to the home of the meercats!

A few questions later, up came a load of quotes. The cheapest was from Admiral at £154 but, 5th on the list was my existing insurer, Privilege, at £226!
So I gave them a call and they instantly dropped my renewal premium to £226.

My wife's renewal premium was £115 (with Legal & General), so I thought I'd give Admiral a ring and see about their multi car insurance (I'll come back to that in a minute).

I also called L&G for a quote on the Audi. They don't do multi-car insurance and wanted £372 for the '8!

So back to Admiral. They were very efficient and found my details from the meercats so I didn't have to answer all the questions again - just a few about SWMBO and the mini. The quote for both cars was £246.16; £117.90 for the mini and just £128.26 for the '8 (including business use and protected NCB).

So, if I's accepted the renewal premiums, I'd have paid out a few pennies over £480. A price comparison site and a couple of phone calls later and I'm £234 better off!

But what I don't really understand is what drives the quote systems that give prices for the same car between £372 and £128?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th September 2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
But what I don't really understand is what drives the quote systems that give prices for the same car between £372 and £128?
I used the meercat site and got prices ranging from £450 to several thousand. My premium last year was £320 and the renewal was £360. When I queried it with them, they came back with £277, and that's without calling anyone else or any type of price matching. It does make you wonder though.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 12th September 2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I used the meercat site and got prices ranging from £450 to several thousand. My premium last year was £320 and the renewal was £360. When I queried it with them, they came back with £277, and that's without calling anyone else or any type of price matching. It does make you wonder though.
Almost identical to me, renewal came through and I noticed a £4 per month increase, not much but obviously £48 a year so I phoned them and said I'd got cheaper quotes online so I wasn't renewing. Ten minutes later I've a £50 reduction for being a loyal customer so I've saved a £100 just by making the phone call.

I wonder how many people can't be bothered (because it's "almost" the same as last year) and just let it roll on, year to year? I bet they make a fortune that way.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 12th September 2015, 12:32 PM

Good result Jim. I've been with Admiral (on a 4/5 car Multicar) policy for years - they're nearly always the cheapest (or on the rare occasion when they're not, you can successfully haggle with them ), are easy to deal with, and generally handle claims well - which can sometimes be the downside of "cheap premium" companies.

They're also increasingly flexible about the definition of a "family group" for Multlcar purposes, and allow new drivers good introductory NCBs where they've been named drivers on an existing Multicar policy previously.
Old 12th September 2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post

I wonder how many people can't be bothered (because it's "almost" the same as last year) and just let it roll on, year to year? I bet they make a fortune that way.
That is not just a fortunate (for them) accident, its their entire business model. I have successfully challenged my quotes for house insurance (John Lewis) and motorhome insurance (Saga) this year and in both instances have got substantial reductions.
Regarding car insurance, it makes me wonder why they bother to employ actuaries or whatever as the quotes can be so wildly different they may as well just plucked the figures out of the air.

I am with Admiral and have found them flexible as Tintin states and relatively cheap.
Old 12th September 2015, 08:39 PM

I was with Admiral for about 8 years, until this year, when the multicar policy was 400 quid more than last year, and about the same more than two separate policies, and they weren't prepared to move at all..

I know.. I know..