A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th April 2021, 09:04 AM

I wasn't really satisfied with the transmission gear shifts and TC lockup after the ATF change so I reset the adaptation a couple of days later. Ran through what I thought was the recommended adaptation cycle (from stop to 6th gear with low acceleration and then coast to a stop). That improved things but still I'm not satisfied.

The shift from 1->2 is a bit harsh and then there is this issue with gear 3. It seams like I never really get a TC lockup on any gears below gear 4 and it is pretty obvious driving in the city on gear 3 (30-40km/h). At best the TC lock is activated but not locked up (according to VCDS). Doing a harder acceleration from standstill and up going through the gears gives the same result -- it's slipping on especially gear 3. When coming to gear 4-6 it's acting pretty normal.

I've been trying to understand if the problem can be diagnosed using VCDS. The adaptation values for each solenoid valve can be read in group 73-77 and there are no extremes there if I pick values from the Audi SSP 385 (for 6HP19 gear box though). What I find odd is that there are no adaptation cycles for valve C, and only 1 and 2 for valve D and E.

The lack of adaptation on 3 may explain the harsh 1->2 (brake C engages gear 2) but for gear 3 I don't see why things are slipping.

Not sure why I'm writing all this but I guess that because no adaptation values are extreme or pass any limits (according to SSP 385) it's not possible to definitely say that the seals to the mechatronic unit are leaking and that things may get better after a more dedicated adaptation.

Still, the problem with gear number 3 is the same as before the ATF change so maybe I should just bite it and replace the four round and the rectangular seals...