A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th December 2022, 01:11 PM

Exclamation Major Coolant Loss

Had an incident with the car earlier and still too cold outside to investigate further, so been trying to figure out what it can be inside.

Car sits outside 24/7. I've been using it nearly every day for the last week going down to my brother's (about 8 mile) to help him with some building work. I start the car first thing, crank up the heat and go back inside for 10-15 minutes.

Did the same this morning, but left it maybe for 20 minutes this time as it was still -6 at the time. Started the drive down at no more than 40mph and everything was fine, with temperature gauge sitting at 90. Got to a small hill and as soon as it dropped a gear the needle started to rise quite quickly. I managed to pull off into an entranceway within about 50 metres and the needle was around 160. Switched the engine off and popped the bonnet. By the time I got out of the car, the frost on the front left of the bonnet had cleared and steam was starting to come out. Lifted the bonnet and unscrewed the reservoir cap slightly to let some pressure out. Right side of the engine was steaming.

I waited a while and then headed to a nearby house for some water. Came back with 2x2 litres cartons and poured them in, and they came out almost as fast. Tried having a look underneath while it was still dripping, and the best I could determine was it was coming down from behind/above the power steering and a/c compressor (bottom right on this photo of MJs).

I've looked at the images in ETKA, but can't see any coolant pipes that are on that side of the engine.

Brother arrived and we got the car back to the house. Got brother to pour in 6 litres of water straight in whilst I tried starting the car for a few seconds. Car fired up fine and engine sounds fine, so switched it off again. I'm hoping that when I do have a look at it I can see the issue, but I'm still trying to thaw out at the moment, and just looking for possible areas to look at.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds