A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th April 2024, 12:50 PM

Default Front Outer CV Boot & Rear Wheel Bearing Bushes - Replacing

Thankfully because of a couple of days of dry weather, I've finally had a chance to get under the car and check things out prior to the MOT.

I was aware of a slight knocking from the rear at very slow speeds on a lane, so it wasn't a surprise to see that the rear left lower bushes (#2 in the attached image) were considerably worse than the previous time I checked them. I've already ordered the parts, but just wondering if anyone has ever changed these in situ?

The other end of the car has a different issue. The front right outer CV boot has a split in it, about two inches long. The area around it is still perfectly free from grease, but again I'm wondering if anyone has done this in situ. Also, I've the option of using one of those CV boot expanding tools to put on the new one, or I can dismantle the CV joint itself. I'm not keen on the latter option for a number of reasons.

I've already got the relevant PDFs from the Tech Dump thread and will be scouring through them later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-29 135915.png
Views:	146
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	30221  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds