A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 9th May 2023, 02:15 PM

I've been following this thread with interest, like many others on here. I'm very impressed at your exploits and take inspiration from your success. Nice one Sean.
Old 9th May 2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayUp View Post
I need to get better at browsing all the sub-forums.
What I tend to do is check my emails before accessing the forum. In there I'll see if there are responses to threads I'm subscribed to. When I've read through those, I then click on 'New Posts' on the top menu to see what new stuff has been posted. I've been on here for almost 10 years and still come across threads I've never read. It's an absolute gold mine of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saff View Post
I'm very impressed at your exploits
Exploits is exactly that, although 'necessity is the mother of invention' was given a new meaning when you can't find a mechanic who will touch the car... and the last one to do so caused more harm than good.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st May 2023, 08:12 PM

Hi Sean

Turns out my leak is also coming from the join between pipes 9 & 11, not the oil cooler pipe, though I’m hopeful mine needs nothing more than reseating with a new clip as the metal pipe appears to be sound - I’ll know for sure when I’ve managed to get all the gubbins out of the way, which is providing its own challenges ��

Would a pair of regular large pliers not do the job on the clip, as I also do not have a pair of ‘hosepipe’ pliers

I am also harassing MJ for help, would not even attempt this without her guidance, thank you to MJ as well as all the other contributors here who just about keep my hope alive

If I get your follow up problems with more leaks, then I’ll be coming to the meet in a BMW again and the S8 will be up for sale

Does anyone have a part number for the clip?

EDIT I too have a hole in my pipe BMW is coming to another meet by the looks of things
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 22nd May 2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 22nd May 2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Interesting failure. I've not seen that happen before.
And now you've seen it twice

Old 22nd May 2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Would a pair of regular large pliers not do the job on the clip, as I also do not have a pair of ‘hosepipe’ pliers

And what tool do I need to remove the cable from inside the airbox next to the MAF

I am also harassing MJ for help, would not even attempt this without her guidance, thank you to MJ as well as all the other contributors here who just about keep my hope alive

If I get your follow up problems with more leaks, then I’ll be coming to the meet in a BMW again and the S8 will be up for sale

Does anyone have a part number for the clip?
Sorry for not replying sooner sarg, but I've been helping my brother with a house renovation he's doing lately, and I tend to only check the forum in the morning before I go out, which I missed today.

Regular pliers just won't be able to open far enough. Your other option is a pair of water pump pliers. However, this will/might only work on the front clip. To get access to the rear clip as well, you really need the kit I got from Amazon (or at least one part of it). The following link is what I purchased, and to access the rear clip, you need the tool in the top half, with the length of cable, as not even the most anorexic person could reach the pipe, let alone remove the clip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075K6VYW1

From memory, when you unclip the rear one, move it to the left onto the metal pipe, and when you fit the replacement pipe, you can slip the clip across over the rubber pipe. NB Don't remove the clip from the pliers until you have it back in place. I tried it the other way first, but once the metal pipe is inserted, I couldn't get the clip to open far enough to go over the raised ridge at the end of the pipe. See the photo in post #18 of the ridge I mean.

Can you clarify about the cable? The one for the MAF is just a standard clip-on type, and the other other cable is for the SAI system, and that is connected from the outside.

The part number for the clips for the metal pipe is N90655801 x 2 (same for both the 3.7 and 4.2).

Quote:
Please don't for something so innocuous as this. I was in the situation where had I not bought all the various parts over the last 10 years of ownership, I'd wouldn't have a car to drive at all as there was no way I'd have been able to afford to buy them all at once, on top of the various tools I've bought (though admittedly they aren't top quality stuff).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 22nd May 2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
EDIT I too have a hole in my pipe BMW is coming to another meet by the looks of things
Have you managed to remove the pipe, and if so, what size hole are we talking about?

Quote:
And now you've seen it twice
It must be like buses. You never see one, and then all of a sudden...

Old 22nd May 2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Have you managed to remove the pipe, and if so, what size hole are we talking about?
I've got the airbox and gubbins out, got pipe #9 off, had a feel around bottom pipe #11 and can feel the hole, and could see some coolant dripping straight through it before it reaches the opening - need to get underneath again, but I'd say hole is about 5-6mm - more will likely be revealed once I get the pipe #11 off

I removed the clip at the front, holding #9 on to #11, with regular pliers, but I'm not entirely convinced my clip here is OEM, it looks a little different to the diagrams. EDIT: looks the same as the ebay items so maybe is OEM

The MAF connection I sorted, was just being a noob, realised the plug unclips rather than having to unscrew the socket.

Are you saying that once the rear clip is loosened, a bit of force and wiggling should bring the metal pipe out?

As for the meet, it's only about 10 days away, and I am dependent on parts arriving, which I have not yet sourced all of, so with the best of intentions, if it's still in bits awaiting parts, then it's still in bits - the clips for example, are about 4 weeks' lead time - I might be able to reuse existing one, or replace with jubilee clips, will try that before ordering them

Last edited by sarg; 22nd May 2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 22nd May 2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
but I'd say hole is about 5-6mm - more will likely be revealed once I get the pipe #11 off

and I am dependent on parts arriving, which I have not yet sourced all of
That was about the size of mine, plus a smaller one under the rubber pipe #9.

MJ was able to offer me a replacement pipe at short notice. Not sure if she'll have any available.

I ordered the clips from eBay and the tools from Amazon, and with living in NI, it takes several days longer than on the mainland.

Old 22nd May 2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
That was about the size of mine, plus a smaller one under the rubber pipe #9.

MJ was able to offer me a replacement pipe at short notice. Not sure if she'll have any available.

I ordered the clips from eBay and the tools from Amazon, and with living in NI, it takes several days longer than on the mainland.
MJ has offered a replacement on basis I can provide a decent condition (i.e. no holes!) item from abroad to get re-powder coated, so am onto that, waiting on MJ to confirm she can post me one

And no response yet from Prestige about rubber pipe #9 - do you have a part number, can look on ebay? Mine 'looks' ok, but concerned the rubber might have got a bit hard and contributed to the leak which contributed to the rotting, so while I'm in there might as well replace if I can get a new spare

Last edited by sarg; 22nd May 2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 22nd May 2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
And no response yet from Prestige about rubber pipe #9 - do you have a part number, can look on ebay? Mine 'looks' ok, but concerned the rubber might have got a bit hard and contributed to the leak which contributed to the rotting, so while I'm in there might as well replace if I can get a new spare
Part number is 4D0121101T. I didn't replace mine as it looked fine, but that's only my opinion.

Both the following have them listed, but both in Germany, so obvious delays in getting them here:

Audi Tradition (issues with sending to the UK, but Dean (Spanker) offers a service, which I had to avail of: https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/tra...erm=4D0121101T

Original Teilemarket.de (have also used these people and very good - just need to check shipping costs and charges for 'legacy products' - I think they might source stuff from Audi Tradition, but it's just a thought): https://originalteilemarkt.de/schlauch-3105481

Only other one I can find is a used one in the US on eBay.