A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 18th April 2018, 01:12 PM

Default Car Insurance - Vehicle Value Question

Not wanting to hijack the 'D2 insurance renewal time', so started a new one.

Andrew just posted a question and it got me thinking. His question was:

Talking of value, what would you put on a policy as a reasonable value for my D2?

I've always worked on the assumption that insurance companies will pay out the least amount possible.

Not looking for monetary values per se, just an indication. e.g. I bought my D2 for £2,300 five years ago. I still give £2,300 as it's value when asked, so 100% of cost.

So, what sort of values do members put down against their pride and joy?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th April 2018, 01:23 PM

I don't think the value you put down makes much difference. Unless it's an agreed valuation policy they'll probably just revert to "market value" in the event of requiring a valuation. I always put £5k in for mine though.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 18th April 2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Not wanting to hijack the 'D2 insurance renewal time', so started a new one.
It's very closely related, you should have just carried on there Sean.

I'm tempted to tell them ten grand.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th April 2018, 02:45 PM

I believe (and I may be wrong, it's happened before!) that they need to reimburse you the amount required to get a comparable example.

Now a nicely looked after S8 seems to be about £5k upwards right now, bit less on other D2's. So that's where you start. In the event of a claim they will slap you with the CAP guide, as it's in their interests to do so, but it's not too tricky to show them otherwise?

If you fail the Ombudsman would have something to say about it I would imagine? Might be the difference between them scrapping an older car and them getting it fixed?

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.