A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 22nd May 2014, 07:04 AM

Default A Bunch Of Electrical Questions

First off, noises.
I understand there is a lot of motors and things that move on their own with in the 8, which is fine but for my own sanity I must know what each sound is, what it is doing and why.

First one is a fan in the boot. I think its the bose amps, it kicks in when I open the boot but I also hear it every now and then when working in the boot or in the cabin. I understand it's cooling something but does it need to go off like every 20 minutes?

The other one is from the rear passenger door, I think.
I get in, sit down and then hear this low drone. I don't think its the rear vents, it definitely sounds like its coming coming the back door.
Anyone hear this when they get in?

Second, seat and steering wheel keeps moving.
I don't normally drive to work but this week I have and on my daily drive I have to get the ferry. Its only a 20 minute trip and I've set up a memory position for the trip. For some reason whenever I open the car the seat and steering wheel keeps moving to that position. I have to press button 1 to get it back to my driving position.
How do I stop it doing this?
Is it anything to do with the button on the steering column?

Third, Drivers window started making funny noises. Do the 8s suffer from breaking window cables or anything similar?
If not I'm just going to spray some grease down the runners.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 22nd May 2014, 07:54 AM

Fan noise from boot could be the SatNav unit too.. the system will be keeping itself awake if you're opening/closing doors,etc.

Not sure about the rear door noise. You got soft close?

Seat memory, there's a setting to use the key for seat memory too, turn that off and it should fix that.

Window noise.. not sure, but lubed runners won't hurt.

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd May 2014, 08:11 AM

yeah got soft close.
I was wondering if it was that doing something but doing it on a door that's not been used or unlocked?

I like the key thing cause the wife has the other key but it changes the seat when its just me using it.

Time to bring out the lube!!
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
I don't normally drive to work but this week I have and on my daily drive I have to get the ferry. Its only a 20 minute trip and I've set up a memory position for the trip. For some reason whenever I open the car the seat and steering wheel keeps moving to that position. I have to press button 1 to get it back to my driving position.
Is it anything to do with the button on the steering column?
Sounds like it could be to do with the remote key setting. The button on the steering column next to the adjustment switch just allows the wheel to go to its highest setting when the key is taken out of the ignition I thought.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
This is definitely an RTFM job.
There are lots of options how the seat (and steering wheel) memory works in relation to last position set or key used to open the car.

A good read of the manual will clarify what is going on and how to change it to your preference.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:49 AM

When I bought the car I read bother manuals cover to cover but I think that was a bad idea.
Something stuck and other things I forgot.

I think I'll read that one section again.
Old 22nd May 2014, 01:46 PM

Isn't there a setting whereby the seat and steering wheel both move for ease of access/egress? I can't get my seating position to lock into one of the four presets so it's switched off.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd May 2014, 03:32 PM

The other noise your on about in the rear of the car when you get in...

I have the same, its sounds like it comes from driver side rear and i was wondering if it was some thing to do with petrol tank???

I stopped worrying about it ages ago though as there's no faults and it runs fine.

Old 23rd May 2014, 06:27 AM

Steamship, I noticed if you set you seat up, press and hold the set button and then the number you want. Listen very carefully and you can hear a double click from behind the dash.
That's it remember the seat position. Its really annoying that it don't beep like BMWs or my Dad's Touareg.

The easy access setting I thought was for the switch on the steering column but nothing happens when its on or off, so I'm not sure. I'll read the manual this weekend.

Delboy, It works and no errors so it should not bother me but it does.
I like to know the ins and out of my cars so I must know.