A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th November 2023, 08:22 AM

Default Silica pack in coolant header

Hi I'm not sure this is in the right area but here goes.

I've seen the subject of a silica pack in the coolant header tank becoming a possible issue as time passes. I read that its there to keep the coolant clean making it a sealed for life system and no service schedule exists for my car. I haven't looked at my header to see if its marked as having a silica pack, I suppose I should.

It's said that if the pack bursts then it could cause issues with blocked heater matrix and other such horrors.

What's the opinion on here, which I greatly respect, whether to remove it or not please?

Steve
Old 20th November 2023, 09:46 AM

A video about this popped up on my YouTube recommend list on Friday. Was this by any chance how you found out about it?

On some of the header tanks, it's double skinned, with the silica bag in between them, so your only option is to replace the tank.

Here's a link to the video, out of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ngHGvMzEg

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th November 2023, 10:02 AM

Yes, that's where I found it. I'm still very green when it comes to VAG stuff. I'll assume that the threat of catastrophe is real then and probably change the tank if it is indeed double-skinned on my car. I'll pop out and check now.

Thanks for your help.
Old 20th November 2023, 10:18 AM

Just checked ETKA to find the part number, and noticed that there are two different tanks, depending on manufacture date.

If manufactured before 23/06/2010, the part number for the CDSB (4.2tdi) engine is 4H0121403K. The connector pipe is 16mm in size. OEM price is £177.

Anything after that date, the part number is 4H0121403H or 4H0121403N, and has a 20mm connector pipe. OEM price is around £50.

Seems they decided they needed a larger diameter pipe to the coolant tank. I would definitely measure the connector diameter before ordering a new one.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th November 2023, 11:39 AM

Thanks again Steamship. Other than the V5 how can I tell the manufacture date?
Old 20th November 2023, 12:49 PM

Oh silly me! I'll just measure the pipe huh?
Old 20th November 2023, 01:07 PM

Mine's the later 20mm one. Thanks again.