A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 2nd March 2015, 11:28 AM

Default Binding OSF Caliper

Have an intermittent issue with the OSF caliper in that it appears to bind randomly. So far it has only happened twice, once before Christmas and then again at the weekend. Both times, I was on short trips on an A road doing around 50mph. On the first trip (around 12 miles), I started to notice the car vibrate ever so slightly, and just put it down to the road condition and running on winter tyres. I stopped at around 15 miles, and when I got out, I could smell the front brake. It was also hot to the touch. All the other were fine. I left it for about an hour, and the trip home was fine. Something similar happened at the weekend, although this time I stopped earlier, and would like to get it resolved ASAP.

I've done some searching and I've found a couple of options. The first is that the pistons are corroded and I need the caliper refurbished, or a new one. The second is from a comment by Zip in another thread:

"You may well have the classic corrosion problem under the stainless plates at either end of the caliper that the pads track along. The corrosion lifts the plates proud of the caliper body, and can stop the pad fully retracting when you release the brake, causing the pads to drag on the discs and over heating them."

For option 1, would there be any issues with only replacing one caliper (new or refurbed), and for option 2, does anyone have any pictures showing these? I've checked the Service Manual PDF for the braking system, but it doesn't show these plates.

Finally, the PDF shows that there are two different types of HP-2 calipers, steel and aluminium. Short of taking the wheel off, any idea how to identify them?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:43 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
"You may well have the classic corrosion problem under the stainless plates at either end of the caliper that the pads track along. The corrosion lifts the plates proud of the caliper body, and can stop the pad fully retracting when you release the brake, causing the pads to drag on the discs and over heating them."

does anyone have any pictures showing these? I've checked the Service Manual PDF for the braking system, but it doesn't show these plates.
You can see them clearly on the photos of my refurbished calipers: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...7&d=1379181239
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
You can see them clearly on the photos of my refurbished calipers: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...7&d=1379181239
...and you can clearly see where the corrosion has been ground away under the stainless plates, where the new finish is "pitted". Those plates need to be absolutely flush and square in the calliper, or the pads will not retract properly. Indeed, if too much is ground off, the pads will rattle around in there once the plates have been screwed back in. I'm not sure I have photos of mine, but I'll have a look. They were pretty bad pre-refurb.

Z

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 2nd March 2015, 05:39 PM

Cheers for that. Now all I need is some dry weather so I can remove the caliper to check it. Might have to get my bricklayer brother to help

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds