A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 30th March 2018, 07:23 AM

Default Back in love with A8...

Well, I never really fell out of love with it really!
However, it almost sold about a year ago and I'm glad it didn't.
The thing is, after moving 'up north' this car (4.2 tdi) was only ever going to do short journeys which would probably kill it.
But, after recently purchasing an overpriced Caravelle (which they are!), the deal was the 8 had to go (or so the wife said).
The reason for purchasing the Caravelle is that I commute to Heathrow (from Lancashire) and need something to sleep in for the 3 or 4 nights I'm there.
Since buying the Caravelle and doing just 2 runs in it (235 miles each way) I'm not loving it! Mainly due to its lack of refinement and poor mpg.
So, I've started using the A8 for that run (and with a friend - not sleeping in the car) and I feel like I'm travelling first class, feel very safe and am achieving almost 40mpg with oodles of power!
So, I'm back in love with it and intend on keeping it, after all it would probably only achieve £5k ish if I did sell it (I think it was about £94k new).
I know our A8s are always well specd, but this is what this D3 A8L 4.2tdi has got:
Rear screen entertainment
Extended rear console (so only a 4 seater)
Cooled seats
Dab and dig TV
SOLAR roof
Soft close doors
All elec blinds
Full elec rear seats
FAX machine
Folding mirrors
Table on back of pass seat
Adaptive cruise (great for those 14 miles of roadworks on the M6!)
Tyre px ind
Plus other bits and bobs

I have put 20" D4 wheels on it which really finish it off!

Anyway......I love it and it's here to stay! Now to tackle the wife.....am I man or mouse?....show me the cheese!

I'm learning to love the Caravelle, which will be great for family trips to the Lakes,camping trips and diy shops for long items, etc.

I'm keeping my eye on the A8 meets as I haven't been to one yet in my 4 yrs of ownership.

Have a great Easter weekend all!
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI
Old 30th March 2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcjd View Post
Since buying the Caravelle and doing just 2 runs in it (235 miles each way) I'm not loving it! Mainly due to its lack of refinement and poor mpg.
So, I've started using the A8 for that run (and with a friend - not sleeping in the car) and I feel like I'm travelling first class, feel very safe and am achieving almost 40mpg with oodles of power!
So, I'm back in love with it and intend on keeping it, after all it would probably only achieve £5k ish if I did sell it (I think it was about £94k new).
You've already listed all the reasons why you need to keep the 8. Stop eating that cheese

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds