A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th January 2020, 10:32 AM

Default 600 GBP!!? That sounds outrageous 0_O esp. converted to AUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
That's a good price for the INA kit. The parts when ordered separately are (as many will know) in the order of £600.
Am I missing something here? Why are these kits from FCP Euro seemingly so cheap? I would appreciate any schooling or comments here.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...ro-audia8tbkit
Old 14th January 2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
Am I missing something here? Why are these kits from FCP Euro seemingly so cheap? I would appreciate any schooling or comments here.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...ro-audia8tbkit
I have no idea how they can be that cheap and still have quality components such as INA included. Contitech do kits over here for similar price to FCP Euro but the components are not INA made/branded. When I had my timing belt done in 2015 i didnt know about the Schaeffler kits - i wish i had done. I wanted OEM replacements for the dodgy lot fitted. Ive just checked my invoice and the timing belt parts actually came to £469 (the other costs were waterpump/thermostat/seals etc). But that still a hefty difference. Wish I had also known that the kits were so cheap in Oz - I have been visiting Oz (perth) every year for the last 6yrs and could have run an import business on the side....
Old 14th January 2020, 03:28 PM

Genuine parts are £600-800 ish I think? I only asked TPS once for the D2, laughed, and bought INA instead, who make the original parts for Audi anyway. I had a belt kit for my A6 come from TPS in an INA box with an Audi label stuck on it They hadn't even bothered to put the Audi rings or part numbers on the contents of the box either. I've seen Dayco, Gates and Contitech come from TPS too.

I've never priced the INA parts individually, but the kit for the 40V has always been sub-£300. If you shop around and wait for it you can sometimes find it for under £200 so I think FCP's price for the 32V kit is entirely reasonable.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:46 PM

Bearings came for the alternator. I forgot to show the front one, but they just press on to the rotor shaft, then the front one presses in to the front casing.

The front bearing is retained by a plate behind it, attached with these four screws

The rear bearing sits in this plastic bushing

Two halves back together - four more screws hold it together

Regulator goes back on

Rear casing

Pulley on and its done

The engine bay was a bit of a mess from splashing around Devon lanes

Much nicer

Filthy manifold too

Finished for today. Front end back on tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	22746   Click image for larger version

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	22747   Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	22748   Click image for larger version

Name:	53.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	22749   Click image for larger version

Name:	54.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	22750   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	22751   Click image for larger version

Name:	56.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	22752   Click image for larger version

Name:	57.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	22753   Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	22754   Click image for larger version

Name:	59.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	22755  

Name:	60.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	22756   Click image for larger version

Name:	61.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	22757  
Old 15th January 2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
....Wish I had also known that the kits were so cheap in Oz - I have been visiting Oz (perth) every year for the last 6yrs and could have run an import business on the side....
I don't want to be misleading about the price. I would still have to pay shipping to Australia on that price, which can be pricey, but still way cheaper than I could buy the equivalent parts for locally! And forget about asking Audi Australia for a part. If I ever want a good laugh I just go in to Audi and ask them for a price on such and such a part. Eye watering! I remember when I got my first C4 in 2008, I went in and priced a CV joint - $880 AUD! The Chinese ones were $45 AUD on ebay at the time (which I would never use), but equivalent OEM parts from USA were a fifth of the price quoted by Audi - including shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Genuine parts are £600-800 ish I think?

.....If you shop around and wait for it you can sometimes find it for under £200 so I think FCP's price for the 32V kit is entirely reasonable.
The big US parts places seem to have great prices from my experience....even after paying the shipping to Australia. I have used AutohausAZ and FCP Euro FCP Groton in the past and been very happy.
Old 15th January 2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The engine bay was a bit of a mess from splashing around Devon lanes

Much nicer

Filthy manifold too

Nice cleaning MJ.

May I ask how you go about cleaning in the engine bay, or have you got any posts on here about your methods that I could look up?

Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:22 AM

Usually I'll wash down oily bits with naptha-based brake cleaner first to degrease, but this one didn't need that because its not leaking anything

I then use Gtechniq W5 Citrus All Purpose Cleaner (one of my favourite products) and a soft wheel brush to work it in to the dirt, and a toothbrush for the small details. Rinse with water from a spray bottle and re-apply W5 where needed. Final rinse then dry with a microfibre & air line.

Once its dry I spray the paintwork with GTechniq Quick Detailer and buff off with a microfibre. This is an FL1 so has clearcoat under the bonnet, as does the PF. An FL2 (2001/2002) doesn't have clearcoat so I'd do the paintwork with a sealant rather than QD to try and keep it cleaner for longer.

Hoses are cleaned and treated with Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing on a microfibre (silicone based so I don't spray that near paintwork). Plastics cleaned with the same, and then coated with AMDetails Multipurpose Dressing. The Autoglym tyre dressing works surprisingly well on plastics, but the AMDetails one lasts better.

That corner took about 45 minutes. The other side is a lot easier since there is less stuff in the way.
Old 15th January 2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
Nice cleaning MJ.

May I ask how you go about cleaning in the engine bay, or have you got any posts on here about your methods that I could look up?

Thanks
Take a look at MJ's series of "What's in the workshop this week?" threads on this forum, hours of fascinating reading about D2 overhauls, engineering feats, and engine bay cleaning demonstrations, truly amazing work

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 15th January 2020, 12:33 PM

I use FCPEuro all the time. Their pricing and freight is difficult to beat.
Don't forget Paul that we have to pay the 10% GST on all imports now too

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 20th February 2021, 07:39 PM

General Vod back in the haus! I woke up this morning genuinely excited to have a few days on The General again, since he is one of the nicest D2s to work on. Everything comes apart, nothing is ever seized or broken (or bodged!), its all just simple and satisfying

He's in for some sympathetic upgrades, since worn-out comfort suspension is not the best for his primary role of blasting around the Wiltshire countryside. The driving experience is more akin to a yacht than I'm used to, having to set the craft up to change direction a fair way before the corner, waiting for it to respond to the helm, and then hoping you don't capsize halfway round He already has 18" sport wheels as you can see, and so we're upgrading to Sport spec with a Bilstein B12 kit and S8 front and rear anti-roll bars (the comfort ones are comically tiny).

Also on the agenda is a brake upgrade since the HP2s were never up to much anyway, and have a tendency to catch fire on the twisty bits when the handling is so vague.

Today was spent dismandling the brakes and suspension ready to receive the new parts. Lots of Wiltshire in here!

The rear brake pipes came out without a fuss. That never happens.

Original rear tie rods also came out without a fuss. That also never happens.

Front end also stripped. The tie rod ends, of course, came loose without a fuss.

I'm going to leave all this for a few days to dry out so I can clean off the mud more easily, just so its easier to reassemble everything. I'll prep all the new parts while that's happening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	25606   Click image for larger version

Name:	63.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	25607   Click image for larger version

Name:	64.jpg
Views:	441