A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 21st March 2024, 12:03 AM

Default Brake Servo Replacement 4.2tdi

Hi folks
Anyone had this done. I've got an issue where the brake boost isn't working following engine start up. First noticed it in a car park, and yesterday on the driveway. As soon as I'm off and moving everything is fine. Local indie had car today and says vacuum draw and pressure seem okay although they dont have data for a 2010 engine so basing it off other cars.... but the servo is slow to react and they suggest as point one needs replacing. Quoting £1500 as a starting point saying upper limit unknown as multiple parts including both calipers may need replacing following brake bleeding and strip down as they are prone to damage.
2010 D4 4.2tdi. phantom Black Pearl Effect. Night vision assistance with pedestrian detection. Parking aid plus. Audi pre-sense plus. Adaptive cruise control. Audi side assist. Bluetooth privacy handset. Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi connect. CD/DVD changer. Bose surround-sound system. Through load facility. Homelink garage door opener. Advanced Key. Deluxe 4 zone climate control with rear comfort centre armrest. Adaptive Headlight with high beam assist. Electric sun blinds for rear window and rear door windows. Heated outer rear seats. Comfort seats with memory function. Extended leather pack 1. 21 inch Rotor alloys.
Old 21st March 2024, 05:39 AM

Sorry, no experience changing it on D4 but seems a bit suspicious that it works when you start moving. I would think it's not enough vacuum in idle and when you start moving and rpm increase you have more vacuum and it works, which would mean weak pump or vacuum leak somewhere, of course could be a leak inside servo too. Should do a vacuum leak test on whole system and individual parts first before committing to replace servo.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 21st March 2024, 11:17 AM

Thanks for replying ainarssems.

That gives me a bit of hope. I'm off to collect the car later today so I'll ask some questions
2010 D4 4.2tdi. phantom Black Pearl Effect. Night vision assistance with pedestrian detection. Parking aid plus. Audi pre-sense plus. Adaptive cruise control. Audi side assist. Bluetooth privacy handset. Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi connect. CD/DVD changer. Bose surround-sound system. Through load facility. Homelink garage door opener. Advanced Key. Deluxe 4 zone climate control with rear comfort centre armrest. Adaptive Headlight with high beam assist. Electric sun blinds for rear window and rear door windows. Heated outer rear seats. Comfort seats with memory function. Extended leather pack 1. 21 inch Rotor alloys.
Old 21st March 2024, 04:49 PM

Picked the car up this afternoon, the Master Tech who worked on my car yesterday wasn't in and no one else to speak to me so left with car. Started engine put it into D rolled forwards, pressed brake, no servo. Lever into N blipped throttle to 2k rpm for a couple of seconds, repeated roll forward and servo worked. Released brake pedal and tried again, no servo. Headed gingerly down the road 10-15 mph.... servo working for one brake push but not subsequent when pumping brakes. This got better the further I went until at least 3 brake pushes kept servo assistance even if I didn't touch accelerator. Out onto main road and normal driving for about half a mile. Then in a traffic Jam for 15 mins, where almost no accelerator just roll forward a bit and brake repeatedly. Finally free of the traffic there was 2 miles of mixed driving up to and including a mile or so at 40ish mph. Throughout brakes worked with servo as I would expect. Got home parked up. Tried rolling forward and pumping brakes. First couple of presses had servo and then pedal got firmer and firmer with no servo assistance.
Old 18th April 2024, 09:13 AM

So car was booked into Audi Walton on Monday as Main Dealer was 20% cheaper than the Indie quote I had. Got a message this morning advising my appointment has been cancelled as the part is no longer available from the brand. Happy days
Old 18th April 2024, 09:26 AM

Parts NLA for D4s FFS

This is why I will never buy another VAG product again
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 18th April 2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manca View Post
Quoting £1500 as a starting point saying upper limit unknown as multiple parts including both calipers may need replacing following brake bleeding and strip down as they are prone to damage.
Can't understand how callipers would need replacing because of damage due to a failed/failing brake servo.

Quote:
the part is no longer available from the brand.
Just to confirm, your title states 'Brake Servo'. For a 2010 model, the original part number is 8T0612107, which was dropped December 2018. However, there is a superseded part, which is part number 4H0612107A, and is highly unlikely to be NLA yet.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th April 2024, 03:07 PM

Hi Steamship thanks for that info. I've sent it into the main dealer will await a reply. The calipers issue was because Indie garage advised the bleed nipples on the calipers are notoriously prone to break and if that happened new calipers would be required
Old 18th April 2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
The calipers issue was because Indie garage advised the bleed nipples on the calipers are notoriously prone to break and if that happened new calipers would be required
OK, that explains it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd April 2024, 07:14 AM

Car in Main Dealers this morning. Confirmed the revised part number is discontinued so if my servo needs replacing Audi wont be doing it.