A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 23rd August 2009, 08:19 PM

I've had a good 40 miles before I bottled it and filled up (in the D2).

Though, I'm sure I read somewhere that the fuel pump is prone to overheating if you let it run too low.

I know.. I know..

Old 24th August 2009, 08:31 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
I've had a good 40 miles before I bottled it and filled up (in the D2).

Though, I'm sure I read somewhere that the fuel pump is prone to overheating if you let it run too low.
The fuel pump issue is primarily for LPG fitted cars. If you run out of petrol and run on LPG then the fuel pump will burn out as it is running empty and therefore no cooling.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 24th August 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:25 PM

I've had 90 litres into mine about three weeks ago. I went straight home and checked the handbook where it says the capacity is ABOUT 90 litres.
The replacement for the fuel pump that packed up a few day later, sourced from A8 Parts and fitted by Ben at AV Performance, is running fine.
I don't have LPG. Makes you wonder
Old 20th July 2013, 05:03 PM

Was just looking for a thread like this to see what the tank capacity is - had mine down to 20 miles range and almost on R

Managed to get 78.5 litres in without much effort but looks like I could've run it for a good bit longer

Interesting to note Amar's old pic of fuel prices - paid £1.459 per litre for Shell' finest high octane go go juice today!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:56 AM

From experience, when the fuel guage reads empty on a car, uv usually got about 20 miles of fuel left.

I think its a safety/backup feature
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:50 AM

Don't forget the awkward shape of the 8's saddle tank, you'd never empty it.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:52 AM

I have run it to 0 miles range several times, and I either filled up to the top or plugged in VCDS, and its always had between 8l and 12l left in there. So thats at least another 30miles range, and potentially 50 on the motorway.
Old 26th September 2013, 10:19 AM

had mine the other day run out of fuel before the light even came on then could only fit in 78L.still something i am trying to correct, i assume the reading i am getting told is incorrect because wen i got the car i was able to fit 90l in it but it was a cold day in JHB aswel.
Old 7th October 2013, 10:51 PM

Default Park at an angle?

I thought someone had siphoned some fuel from my tank when I'd parked in a space on a road that had a large degree of camber. I knew that the fuel range on the computer indicated 40-50 miles when I got out.

When I came to drive home, it claimed 0 miles. I chanced it and ran all the way home (20 miles from East India Dock to home). I even got half-way back again before my bottle went!
I've also learnt something new from the forums as I've just re-read this thread - mine must have the 92L tank as it's an A8L FL 2000. I've only ever filled it up once and it cost £126. Yikes.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:55 PM

Once managed to squeeze 80 litres into mine, but that was after driving about 30 miles on zero. Then again, my DIS is screwed up anyway and shows 1250 range on a full tank.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds