A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 16th July 2023, 07:58 PM

I did a little investigating today and stopped having a tantrum. The top part of the cowling was just perched on top of its normal position and just lifts up. The bottom section seems to be fixed in place as normal but the two most noticeable….and very irritating issues I have are;

1: The steering has gone from feeling very light and easy to turn to quite stiff and almost restricted now. Not a nice feeling at all.

2: A very audible clicking noise when steering has now began which wasn’t there before.

Are both of these issues due to the new indicator unit I had fitted? I’ve attached a video…hopefully it uploads ok.

p.s. I’m back to throwing tantrums again and looking for a new car to make me feel better
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.41F6B6CA-035B-41D5-B9E4-199756CCE66E.MOV (3.59 MB, 103 views)

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 17th July 2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
2: A very audible clicking noise when steering has now began which wasn’t there before.

p.s. I’m back to throwing tantrums again and looking for a new car to make me feel better
Now that does sound bad. I'd be inclined to say that the replacement is faulty, and would refit your original one again. You did say it didn't cancel left turns, but that's a lot better than the replacement.

I have a similar issue with right turn cancelling, but it's intermittent (works probably 90% of the time), and I just live with it. There are other issues with my car, but finding solutions to them is problematic, but I don't want to give it up.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th July 2023, 08:02 PM

I won’t be asking the garage to fit the old unit back. I don’t believe in fitting known defective parts and then paying for that privilege.

I probably won’t sell it, but I’m going to leave this parked up for some time whilst I switch focus to my e30 project instead.

Old 19th January 2024, 04:38 PM

UPDATE:

The replacement squib went faulty and I had to get another fitted

At the same time the ABS and traction control lights appeared….not sure if coincident?

I just got the car back from DS Autowerkes and the indicators from the replacement squib are now working, however I still have an ABS and traction control light on the dash….and I now also have a large flashing red warning circle on the DIS which I didn’t have before.

Dave at DS Autowerkes said that he couldn’t clear the ABS fault. I will attempt to write what he then explained to me

He would clear the fault and re-code the ABS but the moment drive was selected it would lose its coding and the dash errors would reappear. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone? This is all I need just when I’m trying to sell the car - another fault finding mission that cannot be solved

Old 19th January 2024, 05:47 PM

Quote:
At the same time the ABS and traction control lights appeared….not sure if coincident?

I just got the car back from DS Autowerkes and the indicators from the replacement squib are now working, however I still have an ABS and traction control light on the dash….and I now also have a large flashing red warning circle on the DIS which I didn’t have before.
The following thread hints at changing/removing the steering wheel will throw up and ABS and traction control lights. There is a procedure listed for resetting the Steering Angle Sensor.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...tes-Don-t-work

However, your mention of the large flashing red warning on the DIS would imply something more serious, as it's only one of four such red warnings displayed on the DIS.

Just found another post which said that the ABS loses its coding when the slip ring is disconnected! The following video from Ross-Tech explains the procedure for recoding it... and hopefully sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YRiVYrLjo

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 19th January 2024, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the links Sean. Interesting reading.

I spoke to the garage owner who’s an ex D2 owner himself and very familiar with the platform. He has all the Audi dealer spec software and ran through the correct procedures to clear the faults but was confused why the coding was disappearing after the wheels were moved.

This thread came to after a Google search and sounds similar to the symptoms he was getting.

https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10964

Maybe I need to replace the ABS module/ECU?

On a side note, Dolph is driving beautifully now with the correct squib installed…despite the Christmas tree lights all over the dash

Raising the suspension so it’s the equivalent of a 30mm drop plus chunky tyres on the original 18” Avus wheels makes for an epic cruising machine now

Old 19th January 2024, 08:34 PM

This is what I’m dealing with

Airbag light came on after Christmas…apparently passenger occupancy sensor. Tried the forum “fix” by Andrew but didn’t work for me.

ABS & TC lights also came on after Christmas. Will need to fault find these.

Headlight level sensor. Appeared after coilovers fitted. Tried good quality used item up front but dash warning still persists.

Big red flashing warning error on DIS. New warning from today. No idea what this even is

No one is buying this with all these warning lights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	30118  

Old 19th January 2024, 09:25 PM

I believe both of the below items from our forum sponsors fit the D2 S8

Shall I buy them and take it back to DS Autowerkes to fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176047602...mis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196091154...mis&media=COPY

Old 19th January 2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Big red flashing warning error on DIS. New warning from today. No idea what this even is
Seems to be a more significant issue than the other two lights. The manual just states that it 'indicates a danger', accompanied by three chimes, and to stop the car. The manual also mentions that this warning light can appear if the brake fluid level is too low.

Old 20th January 2024, 05:40 AM

I will double check the fluid levels a bit later Sean (I’m sure Dave would have spotted if it was low doing all his checks)

I think it’s a coding issue or something similar as Dolph is actually driving better than ever right now. The brakes are nice and solid (for a D2 anyway!)

Every time I fix an issue with this car 2 or 3 more issues then arise.