A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 28th January 2016, 08:11 PM

Thanks for that Sean. It would seem logical that the heated area doesnt go right to the top and with my camera sited (due to the sucker and arm arrangement) about the same height as you have got yours in the picture both you and I now seem to get poor/nil reception. I think that you are right that siting the receiver aerial of the type in MikkiJaynes link (thanks Micki) in the highest possible area would probably get a good signal. Only trouble now is that withe solar cable/connectors and dashcam leads in the space behind the sunroof /light cover its getting a bit crowded in there!
Old 28th January 2016, 10:25 PM

Would it be logical, what's the pattern?
My Ford Focus has a heated windscreen and the heating elements run vertically, top to bottom. That way they are equal length avoiding mismatching resistance issues.
It means that a triangular section each side is unheated; very obvious on frosty mornings.

Someone with a heated windscreen must know for sure.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th January 2016, 08:56 AM

My assumption (which are the mother of all **** ups!) was that the heating element wouldnt run right up to the edge based on the "normal" visible element type which are side fed and then weave they way up and down without going all the way to the edge. I know this is not an element type - but I was using it as a working assumption until something better (like knowledge) came up.
Old 29th January 2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
... both you and I now seem to get poor/nil reception.!
Since mine looks a bit untidy now with the cable hanging down, I might try and position it half way between the two spots to see if I get a GPS lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
... very obvious on frosty mornings.

Someone with a heated windscreen must know for sure.
On the few instances where I've had the windscreen covered in frost, I tend to start the car, turn up the heat, switch on both demisters and then go inside for about 10-15 minutes, so have never seen how it works. Don't have heated seats, so not that keen to see it in action!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 29th January 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Since mine looks a bit untidy now with the cable hanging down, I might try and position it half way between the two spots to see if I get a GPS lock.

On the few instances where I've had the windscreen covered in frost, I tend to start the car, turn up the heat, switch on both demisters and then go inside for about 10-15 minutes, so have never seen how it works. Don't have heated seats, so not that keen to see it in action!
I've not deliberately sat and observed it - even having heated seats - but on the occasions when the heated screen has been used it seems to clear it all very quickly and I dont recall any uncleared patches.
Old 29th January 2016, 11:27 AM

Just to add that in my Focus I have the GPS aerial tucked away at the bottom left of the windscreen (tax disc area) which is clear of the heated elements by about six inches. Works fine.

Sounds like the starting point is to acquire/swap a system that can use an external aerial.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th January 2016, 05:27 PM

I think it's not the heated bit that blocks GPS signals but heat reflecting/athermic/insulated or whatever you want to call it. My S8 had heat reflecting non heated windscreen from factory and there was no GPS reception for TomTom in the car. I later changed it for regular windscreen and it gets good GPS signal now. I think all heated versions were heat reflecting on D2.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th January 2016, 06:13 PM

As always Ainar, I think you are right. I was considering the the metallic coating (in confused way) as just the heating element whereas it is more complicated than that when taking into account the IR heat refective capability of the windscreen. That coating would, I would have thought (another assumption, Andrew) be over the whole window.

Looks like a repeater is the answer.
Old 2nd February 2016, 06:19 PM

I have a Roadhawk dash cam, mounted alongside the sensor unit on the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror. I have fitted an "Event" push button on the centre consul (the one on the camera is not easily reachable from the driving seat). From the drive position I cannot see the camera but SWMBO in the commanders position is able to see it and adjust it as she thinks fit. It works correctly with a 128 GB SD card and connects very quickly with GPS, within seconds of ignition on. OK it is one of the more expensive ones but at that time I wanted to spoil myself and my so lovely motor. It has been very useful in resolving two rather serious near misses that management had, I was able to prove to her that neither were her fault.
Today I had an email from Roadhawk advertising the "Car Crash Britain" programme that is starting tonight at 21:00 on ITV. Apparently they are involved to some extent with the sponsorship. As part of this they are offering £50 cashback. If you purchase one of their cameras over the next two weeks and you send them your old camera (any make, any model, working or not) and proof of purchase (shop receipt) they will return your £50.

Here is their web page:-
https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:12 PM

David, just wondering if you got your dashcam issue sorted? Was out for a short drive yesterday after repositioning my dashcam further up the screen (from the picture in post #59, I now have mine about halfway between the original position marked in red and the position in the photo). I'm now getting a GPS lock on mine. Note: The GPS receiver on mine is located on the base attached to the windscreen. Not sure where it is on yours.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds