A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 5th February 2023, 06:13 PM

Default Rear Airbag Igniter Fault

Hi.

I have a rear airbag fault (scanned with VCDS):

01219 Rear Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N210)
33-00 - Resistance too low.

Have tried clearing the code but just comes back again. The same issue happened when with MJ a while ago, but then after a few weeks it went away. But has 'popped up' again before xmas.

I have looked on the forum but cannot find any guide to location or what replacement part I am going to be needing.

Any ideas or clues as to what parts I am going to need replacement and where said offending items are located?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 5th February 2023, 06:26 PM

Some notes from Ross-Tech, interesting point at the end

01219 - Side Airbag Igniter; Rear Driver Side (N201)
01219 - Side Airbag Igniter; Rear Driver Side (N201): Resistance too High
01219 - Side Airbag Igniter; Rear Driver Side (N201): Short to positive
01219 - Side Airbag Igniter; Rear Driver Side (N201): Short to ground

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Side Airbag Igniter, Rear Driver Side (N201) faulty
Side Airbag Igniter, Rear Driver Side (N201) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Side Airbag Igniter, Rear Driver Side (N201)
Check Side Airbag Igniter, Rear Driver Side (N201) faulty
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)

Special Notes

When "Short to positive" or "Short to ground" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE DTC. This can cause the airbag to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

I can't figure out from the code which one it is, but I suspect the rear seat. I think the curtain airbags may have a different description. I'll check the diagrams tomorrow.

If it is the rear seat side bag I have a few spare, although I'm not sure how hard they are to get out. I'll need to have a look at one.
Old 6th February 2023, 09:11 AM

Check posts #9 and #10 in the following thread. The thread is about the D3 but post #9 references the D2 and includes photos. Use a multimeter to check resistance on the two sensors. Post #10 mentions a contact cleaner for the airbag connector block:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24456884

"N201 Rear side airbag igniter, driver's side" - This is what the current flow diagram gives for N201, but I think "driver's side" in this instance refers to LHD vehicles. MJ will confirm, but odd part numbers are 'left' side and even part numbers are 'right' side, irrespective of LHD/RHD.

Just found the following in the current flow diagram, which would rule out curtain airbags:
N251 Curtain airbag igniter, driver's side
N252 Curtain airbag igniter, front passenger's side

I got these from the following PDF in the D2 Tech Dump thread:

Current Flow Basic equipment From model year 2001.pdf

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th February 2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Check posts #9 and #10 in the following thread. The thread is about the D3 but post #9 references the D2 and includes photos. Use a multimeter to check resistance on the two sensors. Post #10 mentions a contact cleaner for the airbag connector block:
Thanks for the link Steamship. Not so sure about the resistor fix but will give a few squirts with contact cleaner (assuming WD40 Contact Cleaner is a viable option) to see what happens. As the fault appeared to be intermittent it may be a good fix. Age and dry joints

Quick glance at the wiring diagram seems to confirm left is odd, right is even.

Something for the weekend..........
Old 6th February 2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
Not so sure about the resistor fix
That was something I was going to comment on but forgot about. Making sure the light doesn't come on wouldn't be my definition of 'fixing' a problem, especially with airbags.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th February 2023, 03:57 PM

It is worth cleaning the connector and operating it a few times but unless its actually wet, bad connections would cause open circuit or resistance too high, not resistance too low.

The connection is under the seat base. There are two M6 philips screws tucked behind small flaps in the carpet in the middle of each main rear seat position, then it just lifts up and out.
Old 6th February 2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Just found the following in the current flow diagram, which would rule out curtain airbags:
N251 Curtain airbag igniter, driver's side
N252 Curtain airbag igniter, front passenger's side
Thanks for checking that
Old 7th April 2023, 05:16 PM

All sorted today. Found that at some point in the car's life that the support bar on the underside of the rear bench seat had 'squished' the cables leading to the yellow connector for the airbag igniter. The wires looked nibbled, but when I noticed that there was bits of the TESA tape stuck to the support bar I found the problem.

Cleaned back, reconnected, and all is well!! No airbag errors!
Old 7th April 2023, 05:39 PM

Hurrah!

Sounds like an installation error from whoever fitted the back seat Sorry!