A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 1st June 2017, 04:43 PM

Might have to get one of these as mine sits out 24/7. I think even I can stretch to a tenner.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st June 2017, 04:45 PM

Mine was £35, but the screen cover was under a tenner from Amazon and that will be used regularly. Only £5.99 now! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRQSSL8
The full cover will only be used when not being driven for several days.

Given the sticky mess that falls off our Oak trees in spring and summer I might get one for the Volvo as well.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st June 2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 9th June 2017, 02:35 PM

As some of you will know, we got overflow from the aircon drains on the way up to Lindisfarne. Just a few drips on the feet, but it's a symptom I know well.
So I (with a heavy heart) turned the HVAC into "Econ" mode and left it until I could investigate, which I did today. The weather has meant that the lack of cooling wasn't a problem.

Attacked the drivers side first as it's more difficult. It had all dried out, not a drop of water in in the orange drains and the carpets were all fine too.
Both sides had a fair bit of debris, small twigs, insects etc. despite me having already trimmed back the tips of the drains to make them more open. I presume this had largely come through from the scuttle drains overflowing.

All clean and reassembled and finally I could properly test the aircon which had been "fettled" at A8parts last Sunday.
A nice observation, apart from cold air, was the almost total lack of seeds etc. coming out of the vents when blowing hard, a tribute to the effectiveness of my new screen covers.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th June 2017, 05:43 PM

HP can you get some photos of the car cover from the back and how you secure it, might order one
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 11th June 2017, 06:05 PM

The big one just has elasticated edges front and back so isn't particularly secured, though it goes below the bumpers and is quite heavy so would need a strong wind to shift it. Packed away at present.
The screen one has four elastic straps and just hooks onto the wheel spokes (plastic hooks), front (short) and rear (longer)
Old 1st August 2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Also I've cable-tied the tube roughly in place and coiled the free end up on top of the ECU box (out of the way of the pollen filter) for future emergency use as a syphon.
It must be the weather or something, but they're blocked again!
Only been uncovered a few days recently too. And a weekend at Silverstone Classic.

However, this time a bit of agitation by sucking and blowing through my captive syphon tube then a couple of kettles full of hot water and it's all flowing again.

What with my intermittently failing blower fan and crumbling foam seal around the cabin air intake box it's all a bit annoying..... (First World problems)

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st August 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 5th November 2018, 02:28 PM

Just a reminder folks, it's the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. And blocked scuttle drains.

So, go out and check them while the weather is still tolerable. Run some hot water and detergent through even if they're currently draining.

I thought I saw a bit of condensation inside the windscreen on a recent cold evening, always a bad sign.
Sure enough, today I can see some leaf debris and dampness and they're blocked again.

A stitch in time, a big squirt of washing-up liquid and a couple of litres of really hot water and they opened straight up.
Gave them a good follow-up flush, but will check again soon, plenty more leaves to come down yet!
(Still using the car regularly so not putting any covers on)