A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd January 2023, 08:32 AM

Thanks Dean.
Two very interesting articles which, if nothing else, show that there is more than one viewpoint held by eminent scientists- and also that there is a big dollop of politics mixed in with the science.

One observation of my own is that the most strident supporters of 'the climate crisis/ emergency' tend to be those who know absolutely nothing about it.
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:53 AM

Very nicely and calmly put Dean.
I welcome your input.
I'm just an ancient old fogey but remember during the Second World War we were taught at school that we were slowly recovering from the last Ice Age and the world would become a little warmer over the years but after peaking (way after my time remit) it would start to cool down again.
This is the life of our wonderful rock and will continue even after you have all passed into oblivion.
Honestly, I don't care anymore. I am just carrying on doing it my way.
Basically I love my A8, shame I can't really afford it.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:46 AM

An excellent post Dean. I'm glad someone else also shares my opinion of the MSM and big tech. The vast majority of people are content to accept whatever the MSM say, and wouldn't question the ethics of big tech. If the BBC said in the news every day repeatedly that the national animals of Scotland and Wales were real, people would believe them. In terms of big tech, even Zuckerberg admitted before Congress that their 'fact checks' were just 'their opinion'.

I've been watching some interesting videos on YouTube recently, and although not contentious in a global sense or involving the MSM or big tech, it shows just how controlling people are in their own areas on expertise and worthy of a mention here as an example of how man behaves.

The videos are about the architecture of ancient Egypt and one topic is how they fit into the timeline of civilisation. 'Civilisation' (a complex human society) is defined to have started around 4,000-3,000 BCE, with each ancient structure around the world fitting somewhere between that start date and the modern day. e.g. Egypt pyramids around 2,500 BCE, Newgrange around 3,200 BCE.

Then, in the early '90s, Gobekli Tepe was discovered and they have been excavating it ever since. The only issue for the 'experts' is that it dates back to around 9,500 BCE, which totally destroys their 'civilisation' thesis. Common sense would dictate that they reevaluate their definition but because this is what they've been preaching all these years, they refuse to admit that a 'civilised' society constructed it, and instead that it was constructed by 'hunter gatherers'.

Everyone had a right to an opinion. If it differs to your opinion, that doesn't make it wrong, it's just different. It might be 100% wrong, or then again, it could be 100% right. Here's a very simple statement: 1+1=10 It is both right and wrong, but only because you know why. If you don't know why, you have to rely on someone else to tell you why it is right/wrong... cue the MSM, big tech and the fact checkers.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
An excellent post Dean.

1+1=10 It is both right and wrong, but only because you know why..

I know why Sean, but I'm just an Old Fogey Nerd.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:04 AM

I bought a Leaf recently as needed a second car and the environment wasn't my main driver for the purchase of an electric car. There are other benefits which were much more appealing.
  • Mechanically less to go wrong, especially as it'll be for short frequent journeys
  • Cheaper tax
  • Can be charged at home so no need to find a petrol station
  • No local emissions for school run

On the fact there has been no warming since 2000. I looked this up and came across another site which shows that it depends where you start the trend from. Since 2000 there has been a linear trend but start further back and it shows the trend has been a steady increase.

I haven't looked into the bias of the website authors...

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...se%20to%20zero.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factchec...t-eight-years/
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 3rd January 2023, 06:38 PM

Not for me i'm afraid, 10 mins max to fill either of my cars...

https://forecourttrader.co.uk/latest...674874.article

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 3rd January 2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post

I've no interest in debating or trying to change anyone's opinion on climate change or any other of the divisive topics in today's society.
But I will say that after many years of looking at (what I believe to be) both sides of the fence, I'm confident that the majority of the population, with their reliance on the typical TV news and so-called newspapers, are blissfully unaware of what's really going on in the world. Just an opinion.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White