A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th March 2023, 03:00 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

From my own experience I find the standard brakes inadequate for anything apart from taking granny to the shops. The S8 in particular is more capable than the OEM brake installation would suggest. If fitting upgraded pads reduces stopping distance a bit; upgraded disks a bit more. Bigger disks more still; vented disks better still. Grooved disks more, grooved and drilled more + 1 and so on. I have been tracking my S8 since I bought my first one as it's such a capable car. A mile muncher that is very comfortable. But when you want to stand on the loud peddle, you will want to know you can stop even quicker.
Remember, the manufacture, generally, fit the least efficient brakes they can to meet the required standard.
My 2 penny worth.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 1st April 2023, 06:35 AM

The Febi discs and TRW pads were installed today. Immediately they feel better as they now bite without me having me having to stamp on the pedal before rear ending the car in front that has stopped for a red light

They also do no squeal like a pig anymore which was so embarrassing.

My mechanic noticed that the old discs were heavily rusted front and rear and had what appeared uneven wear. He thinks they were just a cheap pair the previous owner slapped on.

I’m much happier and it’s another job ticked off the list. Thanks for input as usual guys. So far, very happy with them

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 20th September 2023, 10:11 AM

I've never been entirely happy with the Pagid pads I fitted a year or 2 back so thought I'd order a set of the GDB1523 Mikki recommended.

I can confirm they fit and much easier than all the filing I had to do on the last set and they already feel much better.,

Out of interest I dug out the Pagid part number I used last time (selected via ECPs reg checker)

and they were 101441238

These tracked back to the same part number Autodoc recommend which is TRW GDB1506

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...51q?search=OEN 4D0698151Q&supplier%5B0%5D=833

When I look up GDB1523 Autodoc say they won't fit my car. Which of course they do.

Anyone know whats going on here or is it just a case of their parts cross reference being flat out wrong?
Old 5th March 2024, 04:14 PM

Default Brake referb

Hi All.
Just looking to do a brake overhaul this year.
thinking full brake fluid change, new discs/pads and referb of calipers.
Any latest recommendations?
Many thanks...
Old 5th March 2024, 04:27 PM

Sorry to add more to this.
I have been searching autodoc.
Anyone with Pt numbers? I can see there are some differences...

Many thanks.
Old 5th March 2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp38 View Post
Anyone with Pt numbers? I can see there are some differences...
You don't mention exactly what D2 you have, so I'm assuming it's a FL D2 S8 since you've posted in this particular thread. With that in mind, part numbers are as follows:

Front
Disk - 4D0615301B 345x30mm B- Brembo
Pads - 4D0698151L - pair

Rear
Disk - 8E0615301B 280x22mm - PR Code 1KW (this is the bigger of the two disk sizes)
Pad - 1J0698451H - pair

It would help a lot going forward to add your car specs to your signature line, in case the above information doesn't apply.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th March 2024, 07:07 PM

yes, vehicle details are in my profile.
D2 FL S8
Old 6th March 2024, 07:09 PM

many thanks steamship.
Any recommendations for caliper referb'?
Old 6th March 2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
many thanks steamship.
Any recommendations for caliper referb'?
Few of us on here have used these

https://pro-calipers.co.uk/

Did a great job on my RS6 calipers

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 7th March 2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
yes, vehicle details are in my profile.
D2 FL S8
Thankfully Brian has answered the refurb question, as I have no idea.

Car details - Add them to your signature (User CP > Edit Signature). That way, it's always visible on every post you make, and no one has to search for it. It makes things easier.

That's what annoys me about the Facebook groups (A8/S8 related), where they ask a question about their A8/S8, and forget that there are 4 generations of them with a multitude of variances.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds