A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 21st January 2018, 10:25 AM

I did some tinkering with xmr-stak yesterday as well when I put my two 580s in the Vega rig. I just can not get it to go as fast as Cast whatever I do. Turning the intensity up just makes it crash eventually, and running multiple instances doesn't help like it does with Cast. I have switched to OverdriveNTool for setting the clock settings because Wattman resetting them every crash got very tedious. Interestingly now the 580s are in there, disabling and re-enabling the Vegas after a reboot just blue screens the machine instantly which is quite annoying. I have no choice but to manually do the HBMCC switch in Wattman now. Devcon won't work on my rig anyway so not a massive loss, but still a vexing development. I think a separate 580 rig may be necessary when more Vegas turn up.

Interestingly, I tried running an instance of Cast for each of the four cards and it didn't like that at all - performance of the whole rig dropped significantly. I then thought about how Stak can tie a GPU thread to a CPU thread, and it occurred that I only have a 2 core with HT CPU so four threads max. I then tried both 580s in one instance of Cast and left the Vegas with one each and performance jumped quite a bit, and yet the two 580s remained at the same hash rate - 1666H/s for the two, 827 running separately.

I see a drop of about 100-150H/s per Vega with Stak vs Cast, but if Stak had less dev fee that may actually make up the shortfall. I much prefer Stak for configurability and reporting. Its timeout settings are much better for when Nicehash gets socket errors too.

Slightly unfortunately, 660W of power dissipation is too much for the airing cupboard The cards are all running at 65°C with the Vega's fans at 3000rpm with is pretty noisy so now the challenge is to find somewhere with better airflow where the noise won't be too disruptive. It would work in the loft, but then I lose all the heat. It can't go in the utility room because that's where the kittehs sleep and I don't want 60dB of white noise damaging their super-sensitive hearing, although they might enjoy the warmth. Hmm...

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 21st January 2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:13 AM

Baikal Giant X10 is available to buy again and Giant B is available as well but prices are not realistic and MOQ 6, last time X10 was $1399 and no MOQ but now see the reply to my enquiry from Baikal below:

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for your contacting.

Giant-B sale (shipping charge not included)
1). Price at 9000usd/pc
Delivery within 5 working days after receiving payment.
2). Price at 7000usd/pc
Delivery at End of Feb.

Giant X10 sale (shipping charge not included)
1). Price at 7000usd/pc
Delivery within 5 working days after receiving payment

Sale item:
Payment method: Bank transfer USD dollar Only
Minimum order quantity: 6 units (MOQ for each type)
For this batch is no discount available,Power supply is not included, so you have to get it by yourself.
Shipping will be DHL/UPS. Waybill could be provided once we sent the miner from email.

Please let me know which product you are interest.

Best regards.
Baikal miner

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:24 AM

Wow. I guess they saw what their kit was selling for on ebay and decided to take the extra profit for themselves. Slightly ironic that Baikal are now doing moq of 6 whereas Bitmain limited the A3 to 1 per account.

4-5 months ROI at that price so I'm sure they'll still sell plenty of them.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Baikal Giant X10 is available to buy again and Giant B is available as well but prices are not realistic and MOQ 6, last time X10 was $1399 and no MOQ but now see the reply to my enquiry from Baikal below:
I'd have happily gone in on a group buy at $1400 maybe even a couple, but $7000 is just silly.

Way too much risk with the B coming in February and partially killing it off. Shame!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:15 PM

I solved my noisy Vegas

I started off with some fan cowls made from a 4" cardboard tube and duct tape. They dropped the noise level considerably on their own. Then, I used the same tube through a 4" hole in the ceiling to get nice cold air from the loft. Finally, I joined them all together with some flexible aluminium ducting held together with aluminium tape and job's a good 'un.

The Vegas are now running at 65° with a fan speed of <2000rpm compared to 3000rpm before, and the ambient noise level in the room has dropped from 60dB to just 38! For reference, that's a from a busy office to quieter than the living room with the TV on. The rx580s keep turning their fans off completely as the temperature in the airing cupboard is barely higher than ambient now.

Pretty pleased with that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180122_001.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	17791  
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I solved my noisy Vegas

Cool!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:41 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nicely done

I'm trying to do something similar with my Antminers, when I get the time. I've got about 20 meters of acoustic ducting and various fittings and adaptors to hopefully quieten the miners while channelling the heat from my cellar into the house.

I was thinking ... if anyone was monitoring my high electricity usage, excessive heat generation and purchases of 'hydroponics' ventilation ducting, they'd probably think I was growing weed
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nicely done

I'm trying to do something similar with my Antminers, when I get the time. I've got about 20 meters of acoustic ducting and various fittings and adaptors to hopefully quieten the miners while channelling the heat from my cellar into the house.

I was thinking ... if anyone was monitoring my high electricity usage, excessive heat generation and purchases of 'hydroponics' ventilation ducting, they'd probably think I was growing weed
I know of at least one person who had his front door smashed in for that very reason, apparently driven by the police helicopter being used for its thermal imaging camera to show how hot his loft was. His home "data-center" wasn't what they expected to find
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:20 AM

Here is XMR-stak with 0% dev fee if you want to give it a try. Just unzip, copy your config files in the folder and off you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xmr-stak 0 fee.zip (7.96 MB, 250 views)

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
I know of at least one person who had his front door smashed in for that very reason, apparently driven by the police helicopter being used for its thermal imaging camera to show how hot his loft was. His home "data-center" wasn't what they expected to find
Smashed his door in....Could they not just knock. What's the liability on this one as he's not doing anything illegal ???

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)