A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 29th October 2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borys View Post
Awesome, thats a gearbox oil service
I just wonder how Germans at ZF do all above for 450 euros?
They do not change solenoids on just a service not unless they can buy them in at £10 each, "Probably Could "

And yes Ray you are correct, bulk buying dose drive the cost down somewhat, when they buy 1000+ litres of oil and more than likely pay £3 a Litre you can afford to do it, but the parts alone for me and time to do it sadly is not in that ball park. However when things pick up I will be able to afford to Buy Bulk Lifeguard 6 and hopefully pass the savings on To you guy's.
again large companies like ZF have Testing Rigs and Thousands of Pounds worth of equipment,

I'm not quite sure why there seems to be a Miss interpretation or dissection of what I actually offer here, " I am starting to realize why people Who have businesses fixing and selling parts for these cars faze themselves out of the Forums altogether ... when sadly all I am trying to offer is a solution while not being Greedy with My Margin Either " I'm even happy if people just want to pop in while passing for a cup of tea and a chin wag, "After all I am an enthusiast"

Business is business and it's no secret that there is margin in each job, the difference is I am passionate about A8s and like to treat each car as my own, and make sure people feel at ease,
Every car that comes in gets the same treatment, Recently bought " From Audi I Might Add" This Genuine A8 Front cover Tailored to the Car its a great Fit, "Can't say I have even seen Audi use one" and its actually a VAS part too and not cheap at all

" I know personally I can't bear to take my own car for an MOT without panicking "

I am not trying to offer what ZF do and if a ZF service is what you are after then I am sure a trip to the ZF place in Germany would not be a wasted Trip at all,

" And as for Price .. It will actually be coming down because Mackies have kindly set me up a Trade account on the basis that I Buy all my Stuff for servicing from them direct "
So far .. I can't fault them,

Last edited by daviesbike; 29th October 2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 29th October 2015, 02:21 PM

So Guy, I know this is a D3 thread, but can you comment on my query a few posts back please re the mechatronics service combined with gearbox fluid/filter change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Do you offer a similar service for D2's (5HP24A box) or is it not relevant?
If it is, what would the price be?
I'm thinking ahead to what level of service (and where) to give the "old girl" before subjecting her to the Wild Atlantic Way next year.....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th October 2015, 02:24 PM
Banned

PM'd
Old 30th October 2015, 06:42 AM

I guess DE hourly labour is much more comfortable then UKs too
Old 30th October 2015, 07:14 AM

They probably don't have as many tiers of management along for the ride.
Old 30th October 2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
They probably don't have as many tiers of management along for the ride.
+ 1. So true.
Old 30th October 2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
So Guy, I know this is a D3 thread, but can you comment on my query a few posts back please re the mechatronics service combined with gearbox fluid/filter change?I'm thinking ahead to what level of service (and where) to give the "old girl" before subjecting her to the Wild Atlantic Way next year.....
Guy, I would be interested in this as well for the D2. However, this will be even more longer away for me, as it's all about affording to keep the car on the road. This sort of service will take some serious penny saving

Andrew - I wouldn't worry about the Wild Atlantic Way. I did a recce of it back in mid September and covered 2,000 miles in 10 days, even with the niggling issues I still have.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th October 2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I wouldn't worry about the Wild Atlantic Way.
Oh, I don't, you should see the antics we get up to in Scotland with the S8!

It's just that it will need a service and a decent time before that trip is ideal.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 31st October 2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir WIll View Post
Well that's the MOT passed for another year on the old girl.

All good, but one advisory was a small oil leak. I asked the dealer to look into this as I have had a little leak for a while.

The MOT chap said it was coming from the boot by the front drivers side drive shaft out the gearbox.

Interesting that its there as its had a new box from Mackies in the last 2 years.

Just a quick question as I am not that far from Wiltshire, is this purely a seal replacement and top up job for a couple of hours that you could do?

As good as the place I use in Gloucester is I would rather have someone who knows D2s and gearboxes!
Is it definitely transmission fluid?

The access hole for the crank lockingpin is just above that and I disturbed that when I did the timing belt
2012 Porsche 981 3.4S PDK mid life crisis!
Old 31st October 2015, 07:39 PM

Looks like the front and centre diffs are leaking a little on the seal against the gearbox.

I have had a very wise man look into this for me and it will be sorted one way or the other in the next month.

I could not possibly allow such a great D2 not to be 100%