A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 6th October 2023, 11:54 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Default Anyone near Chelmsford with VCDS?

Would anyone be willing to look at a car in Chelmsford for me and if possible give it a scan with VCDS?

Remuneration of expenses and beer tokens available.

TiA

Mike

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 8th October 2023, 02:59 PM

Chelmsfordian here! Rather good timing because a friend of mine has just bought a TT and wanted a few things enabled and tinkered with. I've dug out my old HEXCAN cable but can't locate the little software disc for it and can't seem to download the old 12.12 version of the software online which ye olde cable works with.

I can post this in the VCDS section too, but would you or anybody else be able to point me to wherever I could download the 12.12 version? Rosstech site posts all the versions but each download link for the relevant version just automatically downloads the very latest version.

If I can get it working, and if you still need a local car scanned and looked over, then I'm more than happy to help.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 8th October 2023, 04:27 PM

Are you sure it won't work with the latest VCDS? No harm in trying...
Exactly which model cable is it though, maybe post a photo? USB, serial?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th October 2023, 04:31 PM

Is it a genuine rosstech cable? If not it’ll need the hacked old software to work……if genuine as Andrew says it should work with the latest version

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th October 2023, 04:34 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Thanks for the offer Oli, but it's gone. So we can stand down in that one. No going to target one in Birmingham!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:10 AM

On the other side of the cable it just says 'VCDS 12.12' and has a status LED.

From what I remember it has the ability to connect to as many VIN numbers / vehicles as I like but won't work beyond version 12.12. Ultimately, I think it was a cloned cable but have a download link from a very helpful PM which looks promising.

I've also read on a couple of sites that the cable doesn't always work beyond 2015 cars, so we'll see if it works with this 65 plate TT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230928-WA0003.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	30001  
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 9th October 2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
On the other side of the cable it just says 'VCDS 12.12' and has a status LED.

From what I remember it has the ability to connect to as many VIN numbers / vehicles as I like but won't work beyond version 12.12. Ultimately, I think it was a cloned cable but have a download link from a very helpful PM which looks promising.
That looks identical to mine, although mine was supplied by a verified company in the UK, and as such doesn't look genuine as it has their stickers on it, and not Ross-Tech. Mine is also unlimited VINs which I bought around 2013-2014, although the most recent vehicle I've scanned with it is 2011.

The Ross-Tech site itself lists that it works up to 2015, although it also states that it may also work on some newer models:

https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ol...rfaces/huc.php

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th October 2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
On the other side of the cable it just says 'VCDS 12.12'
It's almost certainly a clone and will probably only work with the hacked software that came with it.

Genuine cables typically have a serial number label, a "sold by" label and NO software version label as they don't need a specific version.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th October 2023, 01:00 PM

The ross-tech sticker looks genuine - but could be faked - this link provides info on the interface and its limitations

https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ol...rfaces/huc.php

Presume you've tried installing the current software version and it's not worked? There's a driver download link in the one above that might help.

I've got an old hex+can cable which works on my 2015 Golf, but didn't work on my neighbour's T-roc

ETA - the more I look at it, the more I think that's a clone. The other side of my cable says 'Genuine Ross-Tech', has a different 'pimple' arrangement, and has security screws rather than Philips

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th October 2023, 03:25 PM

Oh it's definitely a cloned cable. I bought it from a certain disgraced ex-forum member for £30 if I remember correctly, as did a few others. It came with a 12.12 installation mini disc which annoyingly I can't find, but it used to be fine for doing the odd adaption on my S8s.

Tried with the latest version but it doesn't like it.
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8