A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 11th February 2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I replaced my TPS to try and eliminate the erratic throttle
Did that solve it?
I bought a replacement TPS but decided in the end (supported by VCDS readings) that it probably wasn't the problem as the symptoms weren't of the appropriate pattern.
So if anyone needs one, I have one spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Test drive later
Test drive was flawless. Fingers crossed now and hopefully I'll build up confidence in the car when pulling out of side turnings.

Quote:
14th February 2013, 06:01 PM Erratic throttle response when cold
Pulling out of a side road and accelerating the car only speeds up "gently" not "urgently" as I expect.
I started this thread four years ago having had the car just one month! It's been a randomly intermittent problem for all that time.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th February 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11th February 2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Did that solve it?(
No. It seemed fine for about a week or so, and then started playing up again. Considering how awkward it was to replace, I probably knocked the brake switch several times which may have made it work properly for a while.

Since following MJs advice and your pointer to block 66, I sorted it.

I also have a spare TPS, but may keep hold of it... just in case.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th February 2017, 08:34 PM

Fingers crossed for you guys that this is solved now

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 11th February 2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Fingers crossed for you guys that this is solved now
Fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 11th February 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed!
All of the above and anything else you can think of! Plus several you wouldn't want to....

That said, it is the one thing that logically/analytically fits 100% my remaining symptoms.
Until, to misquote Donald Rumsfeld, we find the next of the unknown unknowns....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th February 2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That said, the V8 D2s do have overly sensitive throttle pedals IMO, making it hard to pull away at any setting thats not 'Driving Miss Daisy' or 'Scalded Cat'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Lol, this is a perfect description of D2 throttle response
And driving away from cold just a while back that's exactly how mine is now. Definitely back in "scalded cat" mode.
So much so that SWMBO who was with me said "what on earth are you doing?"
(The main problem is that the throttle pedal is just SO different to the Volvo which is much more progressive until the turbos are fully wound up)
It calmed down a bit when warmed up, but is definitely lighting up the ESP now at the slightest provocation; hasn't done that for a while.

And "giving it the beans" from even a very low speed the gearbox is changing up smoothly without any oddness.

So I'm beginning to think this brake switch issue (compounded by the F125) was affecting me rather more than I realised. Fingers crossed.
Old 20th February 2017, 05:22 PM

Well more than a week has passed and it's still all good, I'm gaining confidence pulling out briskly from T-junctions now. But always considerately so as not to cause any concern or annoyance to the main road traffic.

I'm also noticing a consistency in the "take-off" from stationary or crawling. The very first movement is gentle then a fraction of a second later you can feel the gearbox respond (maybe the torque converter or a clutch adjustment rather than a gear change?) and "tighten up" and off we go suitably briskly.
In the past it's not generally felt consistent, but certainly seems so now.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Try this as a test , drive along with foot on accelerator ,with your left foot just rest on the brake pedal not enough to be braking but enough to bring brake lights on if you can see it in the window from the light in the back window .

Does it momentarily kind of kill the engines power , as I say your not braking but supplying the engine and abs ecu with the braking signal from the pedal switch , it may be nothing to do with your fault but have seen similar ' dead pedal ' issues when it's been the brake pedal switch right on the threshold of coming on whilst accelerator is being pressed ..

Does your fault tend to do it after a period of braking / slowing down then getting back on the gas to accelerate again .

Have you had it do it when you have let off the power but not done any braking then back on the gas pedal .
I've just been reading back through this incredibly long thread and found this comment from exactly a year ago (#175 21st February 2016, 09:01 PM ) which I'd describe as brilliant. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't grasp the significance of it.
So, Lee, respect. And sorry it's taken me a year to focus down on your analysis of the problem.
Quote:
the brake pedal switch right on the threshold of coming on whilst accelerator is being pressed
And I actually said:
Quote:
Clever, I'll try that.
But I didn't actually do it.

PS Had a lovely sprightly drive this evening.

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st February 2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
And I actually said:But I didn't actually do it.
Don't beat yourself up Andrew I've been following your thread for a long time, recall seeing MLs comment and thinking 'must try that', as he described the exact scenario when it happens, and never did.

And kudos to Lee, even though we ignored him

Old 21st February 2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
And kudos to Lee, even though we ignored him
Kudos indeed, though I didn't ignore him, I was distracted. Mainly because a few days later I had this:
Quote:
Worrying development this morning - limp mode!
Which I then didn't get fixed until fairly recently (November - 9 months later!), so I just assumed (incorrectly I think) that the F125 was the only problem.

Then in December MJ referred back to my initial problem. And moltuae mentioned the brake pedal switch. You then weighed in with your issues and the brake switch problem became clearer due to both you and MJ. Then my symptoms reappeared and, as they say, the rest is history.

Let's hope it really is history. And an experience that can help others.

PS Sean, good to see you'll be at the June meet.

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st February 2017 at 10:48 PM.