A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 13th November 2022, 10:47 AM

Default Bloody Glovebox lol

Hi all,

as most probably know by now I'm in the process of getting a pf 1998 A8 back on the road and having lots of issues along the way which everyone on here is being great at helping me out so much appreciated.
Right on to my next problem..... the glove box wont open, iv have checked it wasn't locked by inserting the key and trying it both ways and you can feel a difference, one way is no resistance at all the other there is resistance but doesn't open the glove box not sure if its just not quite moving the catch enough?
Any ideas guys and girls?

I'm also hoping the locking wheel nut key is in there too else I'm buggered getting the wheels off for the new tyres too lol
Old 13th November 2022, 10:53 AM

Locking wheel nut key is probably just an odd/prime pointed spline, readily available online. Have a look and count the points on a wheel nut, maybe 11 or 13?
Can't recall how to get at the glovebox safely without damage, hopefully others can advise.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th November 2022, 04:05 PM

Glovebox is a good one. I don't know how you would get that out non-destructively if you can't open it. Have you tried giving it a bit of encouragement while pressing the button? They can get a bit stuck if the catch isn't adjusted properly.
Old 13th November 2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner2004 View Post
I'm also hoping the locking wheel nut key is in there too else I'm buggered getting the wheels off for the new tyres too lol
If it's not in the glove box, you could try contacting the forums sponsor A8parts (01642 783527), as they're bound to have some. There are 10 variations so a photo of the head of the bolt would be handy when contacting them.

EDIT: Came across this page on how to open glovebox. It's worth trying: http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...boxrepair.html

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 13th November 2022 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Glovebox link
Old 13th November 2022, 04:33 PM

Ok so the locking wheel nut isn't such a problem then easily sorted by getting another key.
As for the glove box I'll try the cable pull thing and go from there. If not I'll unfortunately smash it open and buy another unit from a8 parts/prestige.
Old 13th November 2022, 05:28 PM

I would try very hard to open it safely before breaking it. A rhd prefacelift glovebox is not going to be an easy thing to replace.
Old 13th November 2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I would try very hard to open it safely before breaking it. A rhd prefacelift glovebox is not going to be an easy thing to replace.
Ah right lol not sure I like the sound of that 🤣
I'll try a few more gentle approaches first
Old 20th November 2022, 09:50 AM

Hooray !!!

So I have manged to get the glovebox open using the pull the cable a little trick.
so I'm guessing I either need a new cable or it needs adjusting properly does anyone have any info on how to do this as I don't want to shut it now lol
plus I love the way it opens lol it just kind of swings out nice and smooth lol.
bit gutted to only find a insurance document for the car from 2007 !!

on another note I found the locking wheel nut key rolling round in the bottom of the boot under the spare wheel so things might be looking up haha
Old 20th November 2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner2004 View Post
found the locking wheel nut key
Out of interest how many splines is it?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th November 2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Out of interest how many splines is it?
Not sure ill have to check when I get back to work tomorrow and ill let you know