A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 18th February 2023, 04:14 PM

Default Removing D3 headlining to fix sunroof

Unfortunately my D3 has developed a fault in the sunroof mechanism. There is a broken track on one side and the mechanism makes some bad noises when it closes, and sometimes won’t close at all. Also the interior sliding cover is stiff and notchy in operation. It’s a shame because I replaced the front deflector motor and that side of it is great now, but it’s clear that the sunroof cassette in this car is toast.

I’m double gutted because I have bought this car for my dad who isn’t very well and I have worked really hard to prepare it for him and make it as good as it can be and then all of a sudden I have this which looks like a big job.

What I’m looking for are Audis instructions on headlining removal, and anything I will need to know to set up a replacement roof.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th February 2023, 05:37 PM

Helpfully found the manual on a thread below -going well except sunvisors. The type on my 2008 car don’t match the ones on the manual. You tube shows a guy levering against the headlining with a crow bar to get the cover off the retaining clip but he damages the headlining so after a lot of careful trying I have carefully snapped the caps on the clips using a pair of pliers to remove them. I’ll buy replacements - I just can’t see a way to remove those without damaging the lining.

I can’t budge the caps off the sun visors though? Any ideas?
Old 19th February 2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Thompson View Post
Helpfully found the manual on a thread below -going well except sunvisors.

I can’t budge the caps off the sun visors though? Any ideas?
Not sure what thread you're referring to, but I remember posting some photos of the sun visor clips in a thread. It might be the one you're referring to. If not, I've attached them to this post.

From memory, I think someone mentioned that they are very tight fitting (you can see the lugs inside the cap), and you need to use something like a pick tool to remove the cover, and when they do release, they do so suddenly. Just a thought, but you might be able to use two picks along one side, using the first to prise the side next to the first lug, and then the second one to prise the side next to the second lug, whilst at the same time gently pulling down with the tools, freeing up one side, and then the second side should come off a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 Sun Visor Clip Cover.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	29267   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 Sun Visor Clip.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	29268   Click image for larger version

Name:	PickTools.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	29269  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th February 2023, 03:12 PM

Thanks - I decided to pull the clips off with grips to make sure I didn’t damage the headlining, and I’ve ordered replacements. I have a solution to the sun visor mounts though - a bent fork is strong enough to exert the huge force needed in a downwards direction and works great
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	912279CE-4632-417E-B968-C255DDC6242E.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	29270  
Old 19th February 2023, 03:13 PM

All out now. About two hours. Not the end of the world to do. Now I just need a replacement cassette.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C3F22122-AC84-4960-9F85-C957E8114A9C.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	29271  
Old 19th February 2023, 04:44 PM

Looking at replacement roofs the D4 one looks very similar - can anyone confirm I can use that ok on the D3?
Old 19th February 2023, 05:21 PM

They do appear very similar, but there are some very slight differences. Size is probably the same, but no way to confirm it other than a side by side comparison. For reference, on the D3, there are two versions available, 4E5877049, which is a normal sunroof, and 4E5877049A, which is a solar sunroof, so there appears to be a difference there as well.

As an aside, it's also worth adding a signature line, including such things as details of the car, so that people don't have to ask about specs when you raise a question. You can find it under 'User CP' (top left of every page), and then 'Edit Signature' under 'Settings & Options' down the left hand side. Also worth adding your location should you ever need help or recommendations in your area. Then pop along to the 'Introductions' section and introduce yourself. We're also keen on seeing photos of users cars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A8 D3 Sunroof 4E5877049.png
Views:	73
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	29272   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D4 Sunroof 4H0877049A.png
Views:	75
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	29273  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 21st February 2023, 10:29 PM

Thanks for your help. Got a replacement d3 roof today off our sponsors here and I will be fitting it this week.

Do I have to do any fancy vcds work to set it up or can I just mechanically fit it and away I go?
Old 22nd February 2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Thompson View Post
Do I have to do any fancy vcds work to set it up or can I just mechanically fit it and away I go?
In theory, there shouldn't be anything required so far as coding is concerned, as it's purely mechanical.

Old 23rd February 2023, 06:05 PM

*** SEE LATER POST - BELOW IS NONSENSE YOU WANT TO BE WORKING ON THE ROOF WITH IT OUT OF THE CAR NOT IN THE CAR. ROOF ONLY GOES INSIDE THE VEHICLE ONCE IT IS READY TO FIT ***

Fantastic. The roof I bought was disconnected in the closed position whereas mine was disconnected in the open position. So I removed the motor from the old roof, plugged it all in and set the control to full closed.

The hope is that that will work when I fit the motor to the new roof. I think I’ll set it on a big piece of card in the car with the seats reclined flat, then plug it in, check operation and I think it would be best to fit it in an open position. Not sure on that I suppose it depends how precisely it lines up.

I did read somewhere there is a set up procedure for this but I can’t find the info now!

Last edited by Julian Thompson; 25th February 2023 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Bad procedure.