A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 15th June 2023, 08:24 PM

Default S8 d3 air suspension - unable to complete adaptation

Hi folks, after replacing the residual pressure valve on a front air strut I am unable to complete the adaptation.
In Adaptation mode - The front drops first then raises a bit but not excessively high. The rear drops to very low then the fault comes up and I get the error message on VCDS.
I am getting the error code - 01400. Upper limit Exceeded. What does this mean exactly?
I tried basic settings and are able to pressure the front and rear struts, pressure dumping and pressurising front and rear working perfectly. So it’s not the valve block (plus I replaced this with OEM grade 2 years ago).
So my question is there any way to get past the 01400 fault which appears to be stopping the adaptation process.
I did recently replace all the level sensors recently - could it be that?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated,

Thanks 👍
Old 19th June 2023, 09:31 AM

**UPDATE**
Using VCDS looking at Measuring Blocks I found that when using Basic Settings to force the suspension to lower and lift - the front suspension would display the lifted height increased however, the rear suspension displayed the opposite! This suggested the rear level sensors linkages were being activated incorrectly. as it turns out that once I disconnected the lower linkage to the swing arm and flipped around the linkage - the sensors now read correctly when using basic settings to force lifting, and dropping. With the wheels back on I again tried Adaptation which worked perfectly!👍 all in all a positive result, so human error on the level sensors replacement… now the car sits correctly and will purchase a couple OEM grade minimum pressure valves for the struts as these can fail even after two years new. I purchase these from Miessler Automotive Parts - Germany.
hoping that my experience can help others
Old 19th June 2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefferle View Post
as it turns out that once I disconnected the lower linkage to the swing arm and flipped around the linkage
Never had issues with them, but have read/seen numerous times where owners had problems with suspension height, with some being extremely high (for a D3), and all were caused by the linkage being the wrong way round, so something people are prone to doing. Glad you got it sorted.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds