A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th February 2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
So my plans to use aerated blocks was busted because nobody seem to stock Durox 620mm or 600mm long blocks despite listing them on website, they said if I order at least 1 whole pallet they might look in to getting some for me but I do not need that much. The standard 440mm blocks would not work that well size wise so I had to abandon that for now.

The pulse generator from e-bay , the first one i bought was genereating 0.9Hz as it was shipped, after I did some adjustments it stopped working, I am not sure if I did something wrong to it so I ordered another one and it works just fine generating pulse ant it does show fan rpm both on PC motherboard and on Antminer, so far I only tried it on D3 but it does work so far.

I have been searching for the info what are the temp limits on different Antminers. The official info from Bitmain is that L3+ and D3 will stop running if PCB tamp reaches 85C, no mention about chip temps. Latest S9 models with autotune will stop running when chip temp reaches 125-135C, no mention about PCB temp or about older fixed frequency S9 models.

This brings me back to testing with Manrose 5" fan only on intake as it is the quietest solution so far. L3+ and D3 with modified firmware run just fine without any of stock fans connected and temps are about 55-60C for PCB and 75-80C for chips, S9 does not show PCB but chips are 90-92C so in all cases well below the max specified temps. The noise is about 65dB in all case instead of stock 70dB for L3+ and 80-85dB for S9, I have not measured stock noise on D3 but I guess about 75dB. So this definitely looks like a good option if a bit expensive @ £62 for the fan, £7.75 for 5" adapter and £1.70 for rpm signal generator (not sure if I can use one per miner or if it will need 2). some ducting is optional as it does not noticeably reduce noise any further but could be used for fresh air supply or if you are routing warm air to another room. For the S9 I might also consider 6" version of the fan.

Edit: So I decided to do some more testing with the D3 and put in in under-stairs storage and blowing the hot air through the 5" adapter and about 1m of 5" insulated ducting into the kitchen through the old vent opening from when the house had hot air heating. It's been running for couple of hours now and there are no issues so far, noise level is 48dB in kitchen, about 45dB rest of the house.

I see your running the modded firmware, Have you tried to remove the Dev fee pools from it.

I came across this and wondered if it was possible

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2056032.0