A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Interior Electrics

D4 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 17th March 2024, 07:32 AM

Default Service Reminder Reset

Hi, yet another question.

I've had the spanner icon and the service due reminder up for some while now but was leaving it until the weather allowed me to change the oil and filter.
I did this yesterday and reset the oil change interval on the MMI.
Unfortunately the notification is still there. Is there a way to reset the service indicator or do I need VCDS or OBDII (which I have access to).

Also, and I'm not sure if it's related, the MMI oil level indicator has always shown maximum and I'm not convinced that this is the case. Is there a reset for this too?

I'm trying to track down a designated dip stick for my car but unsure if they exist. Anyone have one?

Cheers Steve.
Old 17th March 2024, 09:08 AM

The following video shows how to reset the service reminder on a 2016 A8, so can't guarantee if it's the same, but worth checking out. The first part deals with the oil level reset, so the link starts at the main service part:

https://youtu.be/O9XlBhWnTM4?t=76

For the dipstick, oddly enough the parts catalogue shows a dipstick in the image, but doesn't give a part number. I tried a search for dipsticks for the CDSB engine, but got nothing. All the searches for the 4.2 dipstick were for the petrol version.

Something you could try, but you would need to do some tests during an oil change comparing the MMI and dipstick to see if it was anywhere near accurate. The dipstick part number for the 4.0tdi & 4.2tdi D3 engines is 057115611H.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th March 2024, 09:53 AM

Hi Sean and thanks.
I dont have VCDS only access to OBD11 so not sure if this will do.

I'm worried that the MMI reading may not be working properly so no real idea what is in the sump. It was at max before I changed the oil and put around 0.5L less in than I took out but MMI still says max. I really need a dipstick.
Old 17th March 2024, 10:10 AM

I've just been out to the car which is parked uphill and the MMI still reads max. Either there is a fault or it is very overfull which surely would flag up?

This is a bit of a puzzler.
Old 17th March 2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saff View Post
Hi Sean and thanks.
I dont have VCDS only access to OBD11 so not sure if this will do.

I'm worried that the MMI reading may not be working properly so no real idea what is in the sump. It was at max before I changed the oil and put around 0.5L less in than I took out but MMI still says max. I really need a dipstick.
Came across this video using OBD11. A different model and year of Audi, but worth checking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMnCPPODi40

At least you're aware that the MMI range represents 1 litre, but worrying that a 0.5 litre less seems to have no effect. From what I've read, they also seem to fail in various ways, from permanent low oil to permanent overfull, and they don't seem to throw any sort of error code.

One comment I saw was someone with an issue, and they said that the MMI was showing full with the engine off, and dropped with the engine running, and back to full after engine stopped for a while, which would seem to at least indicate that the sensor was working. Have you ever noticed this with yours, as if it does, it would tend to indicate that the sensor is working properly (in theory).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 18th March 2024, 11:09 AM

Thanks Sean.

The MMI readout never alters at all which seems to prove that there is a possible sensor malfunction. I've just found a universal dipstick for Audi which has an adjustable upper stop that rests against the dipstick tube and effectively alters the length of the dipstick. There is a scale at the bottom from which you can take a reading. It includes (supposedly) all VAG engines including mine CDSB. It's not designed to be left in place but only to take a measurement then the plug replaced. I'll be able to cross-reference it for accuracy with 2 A6 owners I know, obviously adjusted for their engine codes.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 18th March 2024, 11:27 AM

It might be worth putting up a part number for it, for future reference, should anyone else come across this thread.

Old 18th March 2024, 01:53 PM

Yes of course silly me.

ebay 113939227191
Old 18th March 2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saff View Post
Yes of course silly me.

ebay 113939227191
Just looked at it, and for what it does, genius. Someone has done a lot of homework to bring that information together.

Old 18th March 2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Just looked at it, and for what it does, genius. Someone has done a lot of homework to bring that information together.
Looks like it's a copy of VAG tool T40178. There are cheaper listings on eBay and Amazon https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RLtZT4QOKiE84s

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure