A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 1st December 2022, 03:07 PM

Default High speed vibration

OK, I have a problem with vibration at about 60 mph and above.I’ve had this since I bought the car about a month ago.
It feels like wheel imbalance but nothing can be felt through the steering wheel, more through the seat of the pants. It’s not too severe but irritating.
I had 2 new tyres on the rear when I bought the car and have had all four wheels balanced. I’ve had all the wheels off and scotchbrite the disc and wheel mating surfaces so are all clean and flat. I’ve rotated the hubs whilst observing the pads and nothing untoward there.
Wheels back on and evenly tightened and torqued. Test drove and a slight improvement but still there. I checked each wheel for runout with a makeshift dial gauge on the outer rim, all seem fine but cannot check inner rim. I guess the way forward is to get all the wheels professionally checked for true then onto a four-wheel alignment. I love the car but this is spoiling the experience.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers Steve

Old 1st December 2022, 03:17 PM

The seat of the pants probably points to rear wheel issue - balancing or bent rim?
Old 1st December 2022, 03:45 PM

Do you know if they are the correct rims for the car? Specifically, does the centre bore match the hub, as this will cause a vibration at higher speeds?

As far as I know, I believe the CB on the D4s are 66.6mm, the D3s were 57.1mm, so if you had D3 rims on, then you'd get this vibration.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st December 2022, 03:48 PM

Thanks Paul. Yep I agree. I guess I could swap rears to front to see if the effect changes then that would narrow it right down?
I even thought about trying the space saver but that also may be away with the fairies balance wise plus I'm limited to 50 mph.
Old 1st December 2022, 03:55 PM

Thanks Steamship.

AFAIK they are the originals, 19 x9j 10 spoke Y. They fit snugly on the hub.
Old 1st December 2022, 04:32 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Flat spots on the tyres may also cause vibration.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 1st December 2022, 04:36 PM

OK thanks Conan. Rear tyres are new and the issue was there before but well worth a re-visit to the tyre dealer to check.
Old 1st December 2022, 05:03 PM

Are all tyres the same tread pattern? Though I ran a D2 on mismatched tyres and it went along no problems at all.

Runflats can be a nightmare, the ones on my 5 Series cause this when the obligatory sidewall bulge occurs around 100 miles after hitting the many potholes on the roads
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 1st December 2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saff View Post
Thanks Paul. Yep I agree. I guess I could swap rears to front to see if the effect changes then that would narrow it right down?
I even thought about trying the space saver but that also may be away with the fairies balance wise plus I'm limited to 50 mph.
Swapping front to back would help isolate the issue for sure
Old 1st December 2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post
Are all tyres the same tread pattern? Though I ran a D2 on mismatched tyres and it went along no problems at all.

Runflats can be a nightmare, the ones on my 5 Series cause this when the obligatory sidewall bulge occurs around 100 miles after hitting the many potholes on the roads
Hi Strummagnet, yep each axle set match