A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 9th December 2022, 07:17 AM

Default Central locking help needed

Hi everyone, been searching but not found exactly what I need….

Got an issue with central locking on my pf 4.2qs, I can hear the pump trying to do its thing, but nothing opens. Not being helped just now either by what I’m assuming is a faulty boot latch which I’m about to try replacing (I’m no good with spanner’s etc, I just like driving stuff….)

Just wondering where to start looking for what I’m hoping is a leak or popped off pipe or something…..
Old 9th December 2022, 08:24 AM

I'm assuming that the majority of stuff on the PF/FL models are in the same places, so if you can get into the boot, the pump for the central locking is located in the left hand side of the boot, behind the lining. There should be two pipes coming out, and if I'm correct, one serves just the drivers door and the other the other doors and boot.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th December 2022, 12:27 PM

Could be a leak, but there are two circuits so at least something ought to work if one circuit has a leak. The pumps are known to wear out so it might be that it just isn't moving any air any more. I'm sure there is a repair kit for them.
Old 9th December 2022, 02:17 PM

The door that I try to unlock will unlock and the boot (when the latch works)
1990 2.3 20v 7a Coupe Quattro

**SOLD** 1996 2.6 v6 cabriolet, Isis red metallic
**DEAD ** 2009 D3, 3.0tdi sport, black

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold

Old 9th December 2022, 03:12 PM

Ok so that says the pump is working (and will probably unlock the fuel door as well), but you have a leak in the door circuit. That could be as simple as one of the door locks (albeit not simple to find), or it could be a leak in the actual pipework.

I think the first thing to try is see if you can hear one of the doors hissing during lock/unlock.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:24 PM

Thanks, that’ll be one for tomorrow, along with boot latch replacement and wing mirrors

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold

Old 21st December 2022, 09:38 PM

Just a quick update, boot latch replaced - boot now locks but…….

As soon as I put key in ignition and turn to start car, the boot releases. I’ve learnt to live with it as doesn’t lift during driving, I then just have to (once cars stopped and key out) lift and close the boot lid which then latches and doesn’t try to open itself again. It then stays firmly locked shut until the keys again in ignition. This’ll be one to investigate further when I get back home probably after Christmas but if anyones got any suggestions as to wtf is causing it, thanks in advance!

Wing mirrors were a ballache, thanks to mikkijayne for heads up on that lol. Managed to find one was just a cog needing replaced, now works perfect so didn’t need removing etc the other is still kaput

Still need to have a proper listen at each door for hissing of cl but pumps still very active

Old 22nd December 2022, 08:38 AM

That feels like it might be the switch in the B-pillar. I can't remember the logic for when it's active, but I'd start by unplugging that and see if it has any impact. If not, you may be looking at a new central locking module.
Old 22nd December 2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboyuk View Post
Still need to have a proper listen at each door for hissing of cl but pumps still very active
Somewhere else to have a listen is at the boot lock mechanism in the rear light cluster.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds