A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 4th November 2022, 08:41 AM

Default I know xmas is coming but.....

Noticed this little snowflake forming. Wondering if its an easy fix or if it will naturally go away after Christmas

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S8 Cluster.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	28912  
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 4th November 2022, 10:53 AM

It usually turns into a snowstorm and then a blizzard.

There is a company called BBA Reman (other companies may be available) that can sort out the display issues, so maybe worth contacting them for a quote:

http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/catalogu...ledproduct=284

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 4th November 2022, 03:13 PM

Wow. I've never seen one do that before. Its like one pixel became infected and spread to the others in a fractal pattern. Very odd.

I didn't know BBA could do D2 LCDs - thats quite handy.
Old 4th November 2022, 04:13 PM

It would be interesting to find out how much it costs to get repaired, as I replaced the cluster six years ago when the display in the tacho started going. Can't find how much the cluster cost, but it cost £117 just to have an Audi dealership fit and code the replacement cluster.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 4th November 2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
It would be interesting to find out how much it costs to get repaired

I will keep the thread updated
Old 4th November 2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Wow. I've never seen one do that before. Its like one pixel became infected and spread to the others in a fractal pattern. Very odd.

I didn't know BBA could do D2 LCDs - thats quite handy.
They could do the job but it is unlikely that they can get hold of a new replacement display for D2. I replaced mine on C5 A6, was simple enough and plenty aftermarket available as the same one is used on number of different Audis. But D2 display is different and I don't know if it's used in any other cars, so probably nobody has invested in making replacement considering the low volume niche market.

And if they need to use 2nd hand display from another cluster it's probably cheaper and less risky to make the donor cluster work in your car rather than swapping the displays

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th November 2022, 01:47 PM

So,

Spoke to a nice lady called Emma that stated I need to remove the unit to provide the actual part number from the rear, guess they must all be different. Then they will be able to advise whether it can be repaired.

Job for the weekend, maybe.
Old 7th November 2022, 02:18 PM

For the S8 it should be one of the following according to the official catalogue:

4D0919931CX or 4D0919931SX, but best to remove and confirm.

Old 7th November 2022, 04:46 PM

Those are the exchange unit numbers, which don't match what is on the original factory-fit parts. ECUs are equally vexing.

An FE cluster is 4D0 919 035BA.
Old 8th November 2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Those are the exchange unit numbers, which don't match what is on the original factory-fit parts. ECUs are equally vexing.

An FE cluster is 4D0 919 035BA.
But still worth checking mine?