A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 18th November 2022, 01:40 PM
Banned

Cool How to make your own cheap FL front ABS sensors

Step 1:
Don't buy the original sensor from Tradition or Audi UK for £369 (4D0927803E)

Step 2:
Buy Audi A4 8E rear abs sensor (8E0927807B) for around £38

Step 3:

Remove the old faulty sensor from the car and remove the 2 abs sensor pins from the 4 pin connector using a de-pining tool. If you want to be a cowboy you can just cut it off, and solder new sensor cables to the old sensor pins still in connector housing (the other 2 pins are for brake pad wear sensor):

Step 4:
Line up the old A8 sensor with the new A4 sensor, and move the cable grommets on the A4 cable so that they match the A8.
To do this I pushed a small screw driver through the grommet, and sprayed silicone grease inside the void it created, you need to be quick as the grommet will become movable for about 30s before it once again sets and sticks to the sensor cable:

Now you just have to feed the new sensor through the joint connector housing grommet, heat shrink it like the original sensor was (take pics as you go along) crimp on new terminals (000979132E), and insert the crimped terminals back into the connector.
Fit it all back together and job done.

I reckon A4 abs sensor + all the tools and supplies needed will cost you ~50 pounds instead of £369 (UK Price) which is a huge cost saving.
You will end up with the exact same part, and same quality as long as you are careful and take your time.
First time round it took me 3h for this all in, as the bolt which holds the sensor snapped, and the sensor was stuck in the upright so i had to drill & chisel it out.
The sensor wiring took me 45 mins the first time, and 20 mins when I did the other side.
Your ABS sensor light/code should automatically disappear with the new sensor correctly installed.

Last edited by Ronin; 19th November 2022 at 06:36 AM.
Old 18th November 2022, 05:14 PM

Brilliant job, and a considerable saving.

Might be worth one of the Admins moving this to the 'D2 Common Faults' section, or having a thread in that section linking to this thread.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th November 2022, 08:17 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Excellent job. Added to the sticky!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 20th September 2023, 10:01 AM

Good article Ronin

Looking at Autodoc they list a wide number of manufacturers at an equallt wide price point

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/...07b?search=OEN 8E0927807B

did you use OEM Audi or one of teh many alternatives?
Old 28th September 2023, 12:35 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Brilliant write up!

Can you recommend a de-pinning tool? There are loads on ebay, some with a boggling number of tools (and most from China), but I wonder if there is better solution?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 28th September 2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Can you recommend a de-pinning tool? There are loads on ebay, some with a boggling number of tools (and most from China), but I wonder if there is better solution?
I ordered a pair years ago (like these), but those same ones only seem to be available directly from China now.

I did however come across this three piece set, which also includes a tool to help when taking apart the connector. I've never used the company, so can't comment on that aspect. Less than a tenner plus a fiver for postage:

https://serenco.co.uk/products/power...ct-removal-kit

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 28th September 2023, 03:23 PM
Banned

I used the cheap china set like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294517167...Cclp%3A4429486

Out of all the tools i find the one thats labelled "2.0 3.5" to work best