A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2019, 10:38 PM

Default Has my alternator died...?

Hi all

Been a while since I was on here, and my beloved A8 D3 2007 3.0 TDI has seen better days too..

Recently got her reinsured after a period of about 3 weeks.. so the story goes like this..

I was leaving a local shopping centre car park, and like a numpty failed to notice the high kerb after the exit barrier. Needless to say, I ended up whacking the off side front wheel on the kerb. Gutted I pulled over and took a look at the damage, wasn't as bad as I thought.

Carried on driving home, and about a mile up the road, all of a sudden the power steering died, and I thought "I must have blown the tyre", I checked, but the tyres seemed fine.

Anyway, drove it home and left it. In the morning drove it for a mile or so again, and this time, the dash lights up, power seemed to go, and sure enough car ground to a halt.

Managed to get some jump leads on her, charged the battery up and drove her home.

Today started doing some research, and tested the voltage at the battery.. not charging. So I figure it's the alternator? Trying to find some info online and on this forum as to how to remove this and have found little to no info suprisingly.

Has anyone attempted a DIY alternator removal on a D3?
Does the front bumper and rad have to come off first?

Any help would be greatly received.

cheers
Ray