A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st September 2022, 11:33 AM

Default Brake warning lights on acceleration

This has started coming up more often now , over the last couple of months…
When I accelerate, not too hard but with a bit of turbo, I get both brake warning lights flashing red. They go off after a short while.

Initially, I thought it might be the brake fluid level…..but, it’s not the case.

Has anyone else experienced this?
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcjd View Post
Initially, I thought it might be the brake fluid level…..but, it’s not the case.
Is the brake fluid up to the max line, as all the posts I can find all point to adding brake fluid resolving the issue? One post said their level was midway between min and max, and topping it up resolved the issue.

I came across one post where the user had the issue, so for some reason they replaced the brake pads and then didn't have any more brake warning lights, and couldn't figure out why! Not aimed at you, but more for anyone else searching on this, people forget that as the brake pads wear down, more brake fluid is used to pump out the pistons, and the level drops. It appears that the level sensor can't cope with the brake fluid being sloshed around under acceleration.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th September 2022, 01:17 PM

Thanks.
Well, it seems your right!
Even though the fluid level was within the ‘min and max’, I topped up to max and it’s a fix! Happy days!
Cheers
My pride and joy - 1991 ur 20v quattro (owned since 2003).
BMW 645 (Need to sell now I have 2 A8s....)
Previous cars
A8 D4 4.2tdi lwb (2011)
A4 cab 3.0 Quattro petrol (2005)
T5 Caravelle exec 2.5 (2006)
A8 D2 3.7 quattro sport (2001)
A8 D3 4.2 quattro (2003)
A6 4.2 quattro avant (1999)
A6 2.8 quattro (1998)
Audi Coupe 2.6E (1993)
Carlton 3.0 GSI
Old 6th September 2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcjd View Post
Thanks.
Well, it seems your right!
Even though the fluid level was within the ‘min and max’, I topped up to max and it’s a fix! Happy days!
Cheers
Good job. One of the cheaper fixes on these cars.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds