A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 28th March 2014, 09:26 AM

Default Dash Cams

I had a dash cam fitted in my A4 and I'd like to fit it in the A8 but I'm not sure on the place to put it, route the cable or where to plug it in for power.

Anyone got one fitted or got any recommendations on a power source?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 28th March 2014, 10:30 AM

I put mine on the bottom of the rear view mirror/sensor housing/bracket with hot melt glue (as this suited the camera).
The wire tucked between bracket cover and headlining and was a tight fit.
The 12v is ignition controlled and was soldered directly onto the PCB in there as it was hard to find 12v up there.
Old 1st April 2014, 07:38 AM

Can you get picture of it for me please?

I can't picture how you done it in my head.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 28th May 2014, 08:31 PM

ScottB5

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm intrigued!
Old 29th May 2014, 07:00 AM

Not yet.
I'm still unsure on the best location to fit it.

I don't like having things in my field of view on the screen so it has to go behind the mirror but that's where the sensors are and they take up the space they I used on the previous car.

When I get some time I'll sit down and do some test fittings.
Old 29th May 2014, 01:04 PM

Scott

This is the dashcam I bought from Amazon:

E-Prance New Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60

It's small enough to fit behind the mirror, although I did notice you mentioned you have sensors there. Assuming the fuses are in the same location (drivers footwell) on the D3, I ran the cable along the headlining, down the A pillar and around the dash. I then used the following two items to connect it to the cigarette lighter fuse.

12v Female Car Cigarette Lighter Socket
Piggyback Fuse

The excess cabling and Socket were then tied up underneath well above the bonnet release catch. I was a bit concerned before ordering that the socket fit might be loose, but it's a really snug fit, and there's no chance of the plug falling out.

Apart from the chime when it starts and stops (with the ignition), you don't notice it at all. The only visible sign is if driving at night, when the small blue flashing LED reflects off the back of the mirror, but a small bit of tape would cure that.

This is what it looks like from outside:

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 29th May 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 29th May 2014, 02:53 PM

Sorry, will get a pic tonight. Forgot about the thread!