A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 21st April 2021, 08:40 PM

Quite a small update today since it was a lot of work for not many pictures.

The LHD wiper motor it had on the left, and a RHD motor on the right. Just a mirror image of each other, except the LHD version doesn't actually fit the RHD mechanism.

I then spent the next hour sorting through wiper racks to find a good set of parts, and then a further hour assembling a working rack.

Before fitting it I made a start on cleaning the rain tray / scuttle area. The crud below the electronics box is an inch deep

I don't have time to take the electronics box out right now so I'll have to vacuum up as much of this as I can, then get the rest when I do Botang's hole and the noisy hvac pump.

43 hours

Parts used:

PS hoses (refurb, £200)
PS hose brackets (used)
NSF upper rear arm (used)
NSF lower rear arm (used)
NSF wheel bearing (used)
CV boot (£12)
Suspension brace (used)
Boot lid (£150)
FE wheels (£500)
Window motor (£50)
Headlight level arm joints (£15)
Radiator (£300)
Belt idlers (used)
Accessory belt & idlers (used)
Snub mount (£60)
Air filter (£6)
Wiper mechanism & motor (£120)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	26230   Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	26231  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 21st April 2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 21st April 2021, 09:18 PM
Banned

I thought my wiper motor was bodged with some black sealant, I see it was a factory process just like the garden hose for head light washers
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
As for the rest of it, there's a hint of "can I build a complete S8 from all the bits I've got lying around"...….
If anyone can, the D2 Doctor can. To be honest, that's a contributory factor to me keeping Herman, having a fairly high degree of confidence that MJ can sort it.

It also reminded me of this funny/desperate "looking for" post on my Panda 100HP forum:

"Hi has any one got a driver and passenger seat. Steering wheel. And gear knob. Hopefully in the south of England.

Also looking for unicorn. Rocking horse poo. And a large dragon."

The joys of maintain old cars

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 22nd April 2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
It also reminded me of this funny/desperate "looking for" post on my Panda 100HP forum:

"Hi has any one got a driver and passenger seat. Steering wheel. And gear knob. Hopefully in the south of England.

Also looking for unicorn. Rocking horse poo. And a large dragon."

The joys of maintain old cars
They missed out on the hen's teeth to complete the set.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:29 PM

I finished cleaning all the detritus out of the rain tray, or at least as much as I can with the ECU box still in place, then put the wiper linkage back in

Then on to the engine. I cleaned up the plastics, and replaced the airbox trim and intake duct, then its ready for the front panel to go back on.

Front panel and radiator back on and hooked up. Its amazing how much better (quieter) the engine sounds with all the worn out accessory drive rollers replaced. The alternator is a bit noisy but that can be tackled when the engine comes out later.

Getting through the list. Still a bunch of jobs to get an MoT though.

47 hours

Parts used:

PS hoses (refurb, £200)
PS hose brackets (used)
NSF upper rear arm (used)
NSF lower rear arm (used)
NSF wheel bearing (used)
CV boot (£12)
Suspension brace (used)
Boot lid (£150)
FE wheels (£500)
Window motor (£50)
Headlight level arm joints (£15)
Radiator (£300)
Belt idlers (used)
Accessory belt & idlers (used)
Snub mount (£60)
Air filter (£6)
Wiper mechanism & motor (£120)
Air box trim (£10)
Intake duct (£10)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	117.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	26233   Click image for larger version

Name:	118.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	26234   Click image for larger version

Name:	119.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	26235   Click image for larger version

Name:	120.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	26236  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 23rd April 2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:16 PM

The headlights on the FE were ok, but not great. The murple however had a pair of fairly new and very nice headlights (literally the only parts on it that captain carnage hadn't ruined) so they were donated to the cause, and fitted with new screws.

The murple will get the FE's old headlights since the exterior of that thing is a disaster area already.

The remains of the AC condenser is just cable tied to the chassis leg for now. I will replace the condenser and reinstate the AC later, probably when the engine comes out.

I built a good bumper from the bits of the three donors

Arch liners, wiper trim and wipers, ecu box lid and undertray tomorrow and then it'll come home to sit on the driveway for a bit while the next project is in. I still need to change the brake fluid, calibrate the ESP and headlights, and fix some interior stuff like seat belts before the MoT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	121.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	26239   Click image for larger version

Name:	122.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	26240   Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	26241  
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The headlights on the FE were ok, but not great. The murple however had a pair of fairly new and very nice headlights (literally the only parts on it that captain carnage hadn't ruined) so they were donated to the cause, and fitted with new screws.

The murple will get the FE's old headlights since the exterior of that thing is a disaster area already.

The remains of the AC condenser is just cable tied to the chassis leg for now. I will replace the condenser and reinstate the AC later, probably when the engine comes out.

I built a good bumper from the bits of the three donors

Arch liners, wiper trim and wipers, ecu box lid and undertray tomorrow and then it'll come home to sit on the driveway for a bit while the next project is in. I still need to change the brake fluid, calibrate the ESP and headlights, and fix some interior stuff like seat belts before the MoT.
Great progress.

For a used set those headlights do appear to be in extremely good condition

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 25th April 2021, 07:55 PM

A vexing day today - 6 hours to change the F125 It would have been considerably easier if I remembered to do it when I had the front left suspension off, but I didn't.

Started by pulling off the driveshaft that I just put back on the other day

Gearbox mount moved to the left of shot, and there's the F125

The downpipe needs to be moved to the side a little to get to the rear F125 bolt. This clamp is just a solid lump of rust, which would come back to bite me shortly. In the meantime, I just cut through the bolts to get it apart. The downpipe can be rotated slightly just by loosening the two lower exhaust manifold nuts which then gives enough clearance to get the switch out.

I wanted to replace this mess with proper sleeve clamps so might as well do that while I'm under here

and about now is where it all went wrong. I couldn't get the stumps of the bolts out of either the downpipe or the cat. No amount of heat and hammering would get them off the downpipe, and I didn't want to hammer the cat otherwise it would break the matrix so I had to change both parts

The cat is easy to change, but the downpipe was a total arse. Its extremely difficult to get to the top manifold bolt, and once off, its even harder to get the replacement lined up on the studs. I wasted about 2 hours just on that, tore my arms to shreds reaching in to awkward places, and was too busy swearing to take any pictures.

Cat out and the exhaust (left) and driver's side downpipe ready to clean up for the new clamps

Replacement cat and downpipe attached with new bolts

New clamps

I forgot to take a pic of the F125, but it was the usual burned contact so I cleaned it up, re-greased it and bolted it back together and it worked fine.

I fitted some boot grommets and then stopped for the day. On the bright side, at least I didn't have to take the engine out to change the F125 like I did on Big Red!

I need to put the arch liners, undertray, and wiper trim panel on tomorrow, then it can come home for a bit while the next project is in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	124.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	26242   Click image for larger version

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	26243   Click image for larger version

Name:	126.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	26244   Click image for larger version

Name:	127.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	26245   Click image for larger version

Name:	128.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	26246   Click image for larger version

Name:	129.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	26247   Click image for larger version

Name:	130.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	26248   Click image for larger version

Name:	131.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	26249   Click image for larger version

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	26250  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 25th April 2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 25th April 2021, 08:36 PM

Jeez, I know that working on c20yr old cars brings its own issues of corrosion and reluctance to come apart neatly but you seem to have had a few stinkers lately, MJ.
Old 25th April 2021, 09:00 PM

This particular job was uncharacteristically difficult for this car tbh. Its in poor condition, but thus far everything other than that flange has actually come apart fairly easily.

I can recover the original cat and downpipe using the laser-cut steel replacements, and so they'll go back on when the engine comes out, but I needed this done today so just had to swap good ones on instead of waiting.