A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 20th May 2023, 08:04 PM

Default Retro fit electric steering column

Hello does anyone have info on the wiring of the electrically adjustable steering column? Would like to retrofit this to my c5 as my d2 has it. I’m assuming they use the same systems. As far as I know this consists of the control module the switch and the actual column. Would anything more be required? If not it seems pretty simple if one knows which wire goes where,
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

C5 A6 1.8T Quattro AWT 1.8T Reliable, unlike the others

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI
Old 20th May 2023, 08:41 PM
Banned

Wiring diagrams are on these forums for D2.
Old 20th May 2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Wiring diagrams are on these forums for D2.
Yes thanks I’m fairly certain a d2 wiring diagram will work since the switch and control unit is shared between the platforms. I’m hoping the d2 crowd will know more since it’s a more common option on the d2.
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI
Old 21st May 2023, 11:26 AM
Banned

Know more as in what? Have a look at parts catalogs for.both cars, compare part numbers and wiring diagrams and then decide whether it's feasible
Old 21st May 2023, 02:04 PM

Don't know anything about the C5/C6s, but the following thread mentions an electric steering column retrofit. However, before you jump for joy, it's lacking in a lot of detail. It's more a case of "I've done it" as opposed to "This is how to do it":

https://www.audiforum.us/threads/ele...etrofit.10231/

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd May 2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Know more as in what? Have a look at parts catalogs for.both cars, compare part numbers and wiring diagrams and then decide whether it's feasible
I have looked at the parts already. I have already decided that it’s possible. The switch and the control unit is the same on d2 and c5 so the procedure would be the same when retrofitting in both platforms.

Old 23rd May 2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Don't know anything about the C5/C6s, but the following thread mentions an electric steering column retrofit. However, before you jump for joy, it's lacking in a lot of detail. It's more a case of "I've done it" as opposed to "This is how to do it":

https://www.audiforum.us/threads/ele...etrofit.10231/
Thanks yeah the c6 would be different. But c5 and d2 would be the same. Only part I’m missing is the wiring since I don’t have access to a donor car. It’s definitely possible but seems no one here has done it. Maybe most D2s come with it from factory.

Old 23rd May 2023, 04:53 PM

All UK D2s come with it from the factory. Conversely I've never seen a UK C5 with it, so you're off the edge of our map with this one.

I can have a look for the C5 diagram if that would help?
Old 23rd May 2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
All UK D2s come with it from the factory. Conversely I've never seen a UK C5 with it, so you're off the edge of our map with this one.

I can have a look for the C5 diagram if that would help?
Ah yeah that makes sense why no one has done it. Here in Sweden we have a few low spec ones that are without it. But almost all a c5 rs6 have it and a few Allroads and s6.Thanks for offering you have a c5 Bentley I assume? I’ve got one that I can access in a few weeks I’m guessing maybe the diagrams are available there? Was thinking i would do a writeup on the retrofit but seeing as almost all of them already have it makes it kind of redundant.

Old 24th May 2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
Ah yeah that makes sense why no one has done it. Here in Sweden we have a few low spec ones that are without it. But almost all a c5 rs6 have it and a few Allroads and s6.Thanks for offering you have a c5 Bentley I assume? I’ve got one that I can access in a few weeks I’m guessing maybe the diagrams are available there? Was thinking i would do a writeup on the retrofit but seeing as almost all of them already have it makes it kind of redundant.
My 2005 allroad had it and I knew of c5 rs6s with it….
1990 2.3 20v 7a Coupe Quattro

**SOLD** 1996 2.6 v6 cabriolet, Isis red metallic
**DEAD ** 2009 D3, 3.0tdi sport, black

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold