A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 10th March 2023, 04:17 PM

Default Spark pkugs

Hi any particular make or model spark plug to be used for my Audi?
Any recommendations on engine oil?5w30?

Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 04:37 PM

Official part number for the 3.7 engine is 101905615A which are Bosch, and the ones I bought. Others may have particular preferences to other brands.

The same applies to oil preference. I went for Mannol 5w30 simply because I could buy it in 20l tubs.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th March 2023, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the part number
But do you know which Bosch spark plug that is? As have different models
Euro car parts have a few Bosch listing for my car
Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 09:13 PM

For spark plugs 1st you need to get right size and right type of seat- either conical or sealing washer, then the correct heat number, after that it's more about preference and trust to a brand. I was always going for NGK when I was driving petrol. The original Bosch I think was with 4 side electrodes and other makes also do 4 electrode versions. Now don't be fooled by 4 electrodes thinking that you will get 4 sparks and better ignition, the 4 electrodes are there to increase life. You only get one spark which goes to the pass of least resistance so it travels around over the time as electrodes erode and wear away but with 4 electrodes to wear you could theoretically get up to 4 times longer life. I personally feel that with 4 electrodes it gets very cramped in there and spark is not as exposed so may hamper ignition a little bit. So I prefer single slim electrode. They woul wear a lot sooner so you need hard high temperature resistant material. Most manufacturer achieve this by using Iridium. With all this being said and looking up NGK online catalogue my choice would be NGK BKR6EIX.

For the oil it's a similar story of preference and trust to the brand. For everyday day driving any oil that meets the specifications will be good enough and it's more important to change it in good time than which oil you choose as long as it meets minimum specs. If you went to dealer they would most likely use Quantum oil, either Platinium 10W40 or Long Life III 5W30. Mannol is fairly new budget option but over the last couple of years have proven to be a good choice. I personally would not pay extra for big brand synthetic oils like Shell/Castrol ect. They may say synthetic but in reality synthetic part might be just 2-3% and the rest mineral base. Next stepup is something like Redline, Motul, Fuchs where synthetic content is around 20% and the rest POA. In terms of viscosity 5W30 or 0W30 is all the rage these days, mostly because thinner oil means less energy used to pump it around so less fuel consumption, lower emissions. But for better engine protection or if you drive hard or for older a bit worn engines I choose higher viscosity oil. My choice is Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10W50. It's about twice the price of Quantum/Mannol and similar or slightly less that Shell/Castrol/Mobil1

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th March 2023, 04:56 PM

Thanks for that
Will use 5w30

Just checked NGK part finder and they recommend BKR6EKUB and BKR6EIX which you said which is an upgrade