A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th March 2023, 02:24 PM

Default Too many projects. Not enough time!

I’ve probably been in denial for little while now, but I think I have too many projects on the go!

A career change last year means I have virtually zero time at the moment to spend with my cars and I’m starting to get frustrated at not having enough time to complete one. They’re all road worthy but far from how I want them to be. I’m contemplating selling one later this year as much as I really don’t want to

My first project is the Green Beast. I lost a lot of momentum with this one when it was written off in 2020. I nearly let the insurers take her away and I was back and forth on the idea of keeping her or not. Thankfully the D2 Doctor saved her and I was able to continue enjoying her. My kids love this car and we’re gutted when I said I was going to get rid of it. It definitely has the most sentimental value. Mechanically it’s the best of the bunch. I know this car so well and it drives perfectly. The downside is it’s become a bit tatty. The bodywork needs a good mop & polish….and probably some paint for good measure too. The interior is also starting to look tired but that’s cream for you. Is it worth spending money for cosmetic reasons on CAT N car? Drive it in to the ground or sell it?

My next project is Dolph. I bought this around the time I was considering letting the green beast go. I’d always loved Dolphin grey and when this came up I snapped it up. The bodywork is far better than the Green beast, far from perfect but looks lovely when clean. Mechanically this one needs a lot of work. The timing belt hasn’t been done since 2012 I’m starting to get back on this but trying to get parts for this now is proving difficult. My pal normally gets parts at cost from TPS but nearly every call to them now is “sorry NLA mate” I bought air ride for this recently which wasn’t cheap but something I wanted to do the moment I got the car. If I didn’t make this purchase I’d seriously consider selling this as well. Who knows maybe I will and just sell the air ride separately.

The 3rd project is my 325i E30. It needs a full respray and 2 floor sections welded in. Last owner had it 21 years. I love this thing so it’s parked up until I find a garage good enough to do the welding. Everyone wants to patch it up and paint it. What happened to old fashioned body shops who cut and weld properly??? This I will never sell as this was a 40th gift from my dad.

The 4th project is technically the wife’s. She bought a B6 S4 Avant. Lovely car but comfort levels are nowhere near a D2. Will need done work soon for oil leak…possible the rocker gaskets. The suspension is also shot. It squirms under heavy braking and twitches on long right turns when the nearside rear is loaded up. 3 V8’s in the house is probably not the smartest idea

I’m not sure what I’m expecting by this post…maybe some of you are in a similar situation and I just want to hear it will be ok in the end or maybe you sold up and got something newer.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 18th March 2023, 03:56 PM

i sympathise even retiremetnt doesn't seem to have brought me the time to finish anything, random **** keeps getting in the way
Old 18th March 2023, 11:45 PM

I know the feeling mate, my D2 project has stalled as I just don't seem to have the time ATM, it's so frustrating
2008 Focus ST-2 - Panther Black - Stolen
2006 Audi TT 3.2 - Petrolblau Pearl Sold
Plus Way to Many others
Old 19th March 2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY D View Post
maybe some of you are in a similar
Know exactly what you mean. In my case, just the one project. My car has been off the road since mid December, and a combination of 'problems' not related to the car is preventing me from sorting it out. I didn't even SORN it until mid February, so lost about £60 there.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th March 2023, 10:15 PM

It appears I’m not alone in this then. Life, or as Mark put it better, random s**t keeps getting on the way

I need to exercise more patience and let what’s due to me come naturally

Old 20th March 2023, 06:44 AM

Definitely not alone. I changed jobs in October, and got covid at the same time which turned in to long covid. So, having already had enough projects to last until the sun burns out, I'm now doubly thwarted by the new job (which can be pretty intense) taking what little energy I have leaving 2-3 hours a week in the workshop (compared to 40-50 before).

Luckily the new engagement comes with considerable job satisfaction so I don't have as much need to seek that from projects, but that in itself means the projects are going much slower than before or on indefinite hold.

I'm having more good days than bad days now, which is progress, but it feels like it'll be at least a year before I'm back up to speed, if ever.
Old 20th March 2023, 09:35 PM

I remember messaging you towards the end of 2022 MJ and you were pretty full on…I didn’t know you had Covid thrown in for good measure as well

Job satisfaction is an underrated thing these days. Most of us have been guilty of just chasing the £££’s whilst being unsatisfied or miserable. If you’re lucky enough to have both even better. I definitely enjoy my career change compared to before, although to some it seems like a backwards step, but I’m happy so I don’t care

The trade off is now I have far less free time

Old 27th March 2023, 11:15 AM

Glad you are on the mend MJ.

The whole Covid issue has impacted on many people either directly or indirectly and in my case has given serious pause for thought about whether shooting around the highways and byways of the UK is really what I want to be doing anymore. MJ and Ricky D hit on the job satisfaction element, which I feel I no longer have in the role I am in. With work and 'random stuff' there does not appear to be enough hours in the day for me.

If I didn't take the S8 out with me on 'work tours' I don't think it would get used as much. Have a couple small things to fix (xmas tree DIS and annoying air bag issue) and not even found the time to get around to either. Its MOT soon so I need to find some time (and good weather) to get the airbag issue done as I fear if I don't the car will just become another drive ornament and another 'thing i need get around to addressing'.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!