A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th March 2023, 12:49 PM

Thanks guys I have edited my signature to include the two Audis, thanks for the tip.

So, a question - when I log on to the brake module am I logging on as the car is NOW, and then trying to code what I want it to be once I’m “in” ?
Old 5th March 2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Thompson View Post
Thanks guys I have edited my signature to include the two Audis, thanks for the tip.

So, a question - when I log on to the brake module am I logging on as the car is NOW, and then trying to code what I want it to be once I’m “in” ?
Just to let you know the abs unit will not accept any other coding except for how the car came out of the factory, it only accepts one coding value! So you cannot recode it for Brembo M6 AL calipers. If you want ceramics you'll have to have the correct abs unit.

To be honest it's best not to mess with the abs as it's known to register an 'ABS control module defective' fault, even though it functions properly.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 5th March 2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 5th March 2023, 08:35 PM

That’s really helpful thanks. I did mess with it tonight before I read your warning so hopefully I haven’t cocked it up. It seems you’re exactly right though. I can log in to the module using the correct code (for my car 05457) as it has the standard little PR-1LG brakes coded, but from there it won’t accept anything in the soft coding section to do with Brembo brakes.
Old 5th March 2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I did mess with it tonight before I read your warning so hopefully I haven’t cocked it up.
I'm sure it's fine... and stay away from performing any output tests on the abs.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 5th March 2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
but from there it won’t accept anything in the soft coding section to do with Brembo brakes.
There is a specific sequence of tasks when coding the ABS, as demonstrated in the following video. Is this the same sequence you followed, bearing in mind that the codes you need will be different, as the video use an A4? If you have, that will at least confirm what matty mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YRiVYrLjo

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th March 2023, 01:13 PM

Thanks guys. The car is fine thankfully. So I had watched the video and that’s how I was attacking it. The problem is that you can’t get the module to accept the login for anything that has ceramic brakes. It accepts the login for two types of steel brakes, but as soon as you code ceramic it doesn’t like it.

I think that it doesn’t like the idea of changing the “car type” from diesel without ceramics to the more general one.

I might buy an S8 module to play with as it would be nice to complete the job comprehensively.
Old 9th March 2023, 11:07 PM

I wonder if I can trouble you guys again for a bit of urgent help? I’ve travelled a long way to collect my ceramic brake kit but on inspection the front drivers disc is damaged. It is part 4E0615302C. I have found a 4E0615302E drivers disc on eBay at a reasonable price. Will this work for me? Thanks, J
Old 10th March 2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It is part 4E0615302C. I have found a 4E0615302E drivers disc on eBay at a reasonable price. Will this work for me? Thanks, J
Looking up ETKA for 4E0615302C I get the following information. The first thing displayed is a remark stating 'Caution: Mixed installation of brake discs not permitted.' Now I have no idea what exactly that means, whether it means mixing steel with ceramic or mixing different ceramic ones.

The replacement part numbers are 4E0615302F, followed by 4E0615302G and finally 4E0615302H. I couldn't find 4E0615302E anywhere in the entire A8/S8 range or entire Audi range, so searched under dropped parts and found it there, and it shows with it being replaced with F, G and H. In theory is should be fine, as all superseded versions are the same.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th March 2023, 06:08 PM

That’s brilliant thankyou. I brought the kit back today so I now have three good discs and one gouged one, plus the four calipers. We did a deal on the abs module and disc backings too so those should be in the post when he takes them off the written off S8 over the weekend. The single replacement disc should be on its way too next week so then I can spend a bit of time cleaning it all up and take a look at the condition of all the seals and hardware.

I can’t imagine that having the two “unmatched” discs will be a problem. It’s interesting that each disc has its production weight etched into the bell, and they are a considerable amount different even across the “matched” pair.
Old 11th March 2023, 01:07 PM

Can I ask how much the complete kit cost? You can PM if you don't want to post it here...just curious.

In the (hopefully loooong) future the discs will need replacing and I've looked at a couple of options which doesn't include Audi as they more than doubled the price to around 4K per disc if I remember correctly!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder