A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 18th January 2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
So a custom tool is in order The alloy piece on the left sits over the bushing which has the oil seal fitted to it off the engine. The tool then allows both the bushing and the seal to be pressed in to the front cover in one go, thus ensuring no damage to the seal

It fits together like this - tool on the bottom, bushing sitting in it, and the seal around the bushing

Fitting it to the engine. There is a precise relationship between the bushing and the seal. The tool is machined to just the right depth so that when the bushing bottoms out on the crank, the seal is pushed in to the correct depth.

Done. Very pleased with how this worked You can see how tight the outer lip is on the bushing.
Is that a tool that you bought somewhere or one that you made?
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 18th January 2021, 01:59 PM

Fascinating as ever and always on my 'watch list'.

Quote:
Locked the cams in preparation for doing the chain tensioners. I forget - have I done a detailed write-up of how to do this job? I'm sure I have, but if not I'll make a separate thread if anyone cares to know the details - I took loads of pictures.
I know you've done the timelapse video of the job on the V6 and have posted several replies regarding certain aspects of the job. There are also a couple of PDFs with the instructions, but if you have the time, a full write-up of the procedure would be very much appreciated by myself and possibly others as you know all the little tricks.

If possible, could you also give a full list of parts and tools required (again, they're scattered around in other threads), things that might be required but not classed as tools (e.g. 'Assembly lube' below), as well as clarifying bank/side. As far as I know, the left side of the car is the passenger side (nearside) on a RHD car but the left side of the engine (I think bank 1) is the left side as you look at the engine from the front, and the reason for the clarification is if I remember from reading the PDFs previously is that the number of links differ between left and right bank.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th January 2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
It's bound to be homemade, just like the engine stand.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th January 2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I made it yesterday The opposite end of it is the tool for fitting the gearbox rear ouput seal
Old 18th January 2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I know you've done the timelapse video of the job on the V6 and have posted several replies regarding certain aspects of the job. There are also a couple of PDFs with the instructions, but if you have the time, a full write-up of the procedure would be very much appreciated by myself and possibly others as you know all the little tricks.

If possible, could you also give a full list of parts and tools required (again, they're scattered around in other threads), things that might be required but not classed as tools (e.g. 'Assembly lube' below), as well as clarifying bank/side. As far as I know, the left side of the car is the passenger side (nearside) on a RHD car but the left side of the engine (I think bank 1) is the left side as you look at the engine from the front, and the reason for the clarification is if I remember from reading the PDFs previously is that the number of links differ between left and right bank.
Noted Bank 1 is right hand side of the car, cylinders 1-4. Tools are scattered around the workshop, as usual

I'll make another thread on this job once the car is back together

Write-up with pictures, narrated slide show, or real-time video?
Old 18th January 2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I made it yesterday The opposite end of it is the tool for fitting the gearbox rear ouput seal
Dimensions so I can see if I can have one made? Wonder if a 3D printed one would be strong enough...
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 18th January 2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Fascinating as ever and always on my 'watch list'.

MJ's stuff on these threads is like gold dust - even to someone like me who's never going to pick up a tool in anger . Imagine how much Audi would try to charge for this sort of product knowledge and level of detail ....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 18th January 2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Dimensions so I can see if I can have one made? Wonder if a 3D printed one would be strong enough...
Ooh now you're asking! I made it the right size with the engine in front of me. I have no idea what size that actually is!

No way a 3D printed piece would be strong enough - the seal takes a lot of force to get in. Thwacking with a rubber mallet sort of force. Aluminium or brass is the way to go. I'll measure it for you
Old 18th January 2021, 06:51 PM

Is it the same as the "Thrust Piece" (Audi tool part T40007) featured in the Service Manual?
Old 18th January 2021, 07:17 PM

Interesting - that is designed to push the seal in without the bushing. Something I have not enjoyed. Mine is the opposite way round to that tool and pushes both in together.