A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 2nd March 2023, 08:25 PM

Default Ceramic brake retrofit need a bit of help please

I am investigating fitting the S8 abs unit so that I can retain the wet weather pad wipe function, but of course i need the ceramic abs unit. Can anyone help me with a part number please?
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:58 AM

Part number for the S8 is 4E0614517CB or superseded with 4E0614517CS. However, I can't find anything that designates one specifically for ceramics.

Maybe someone with ceramics can post their ABS part number.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:12 AM

Have you checked coding options? In most models the ABS unit is coded to whatever the brake setup is.
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:33 PM

Following up on what MJ said, check out the following thread of someone doing a similar retrofit. If making coding changes, be sure to note down the current setting first:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/32895/

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 3rd March 2023, 12:46 PM

Alas that thread does imply there is a different module for it since it seems the A8 module wouldn't accept the coding for the S8. Still, at least we learned it doesn't work
Old 3rd March 2023, 01:12 PM

Just re-read that thread and also double-checked ETKA. In that thread, his unit had a BC suffix, which I initially thought was a typo, so I checked their log file and it is correct.

Checked ETKA and the 4.2 tdi (had to scan through Julian's other threads) could have had CQ, CB or CS suffixes, so worth a punt at least. Be interesting to hear the outcome.

Old 3rd March 2023, 05:54 PM

Ahhh thanks for this guys I’ll read your posts carefully. I’m collecting the brakes next week.

This car is actually a 2006 3.0 tdi Swb. I bought the 4.2, had it a week and my dad fell in love with it so I gave it to him and bought this 3 litre for me.
Old 3rd March 2023, 06:05 PM

Ok so I found a 4E0614517CS - I don’t have any coding experience, but I have VCDS and I’m reasonably handy generally with a computer. Does anyone know the procedure for coding this up if I fit it? Amazingly this D3 3.0 has a completely clean scan right now (!) so I don’t want to **** it up!
Old 4th March 2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Thompson View Post
Does anyone know the procedure for coding this up if I fit it?
That link I provided in post #4 above goes into the coding side of things. Reading through it, the possible issues are the initial login code (do you use your existing code or what the new code is), and also running the Basic Settings to get the code to stick.

In terms of your car, and the image in the third post on that thread, I think your new code should be 05727 i.e. A8 SWB, Brembo, 6 Cyl Diesel with Brembo, Automatic. There is also a Note at the bottom of it to recode the Control Module.

As before, it will makes things easier in the future if you update your signature to include details of the car, so that we know exactly the spec, and don't have to keep asking specifics. Keep up informed on how it goes, and even provide a write-up of the procedure, as it might help someone at some point.

Old 4th March 2023, 06:20 PM

Mine as ACC which could be a factor. My ABS unit has Hardware 4E0 614 517 BT and Software 4E0 910 517 K and has ACC. It did seem to be a rarer part number when I looked for one a few years back
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder