A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd August 2022, 05:27 PM

F1 have/are developing bio fuels which will hopefully be a decent alternative. It will not just be for the cars but also aviation fuel for travelling and transporting stuff. Should eventually filter down to road cars
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Should eventually filter down to road cars
By which time such cars will no longer be allowed to be sold, so there will be no market for them.

All of the traditional ICE makers are (belatedly...) following Tesla's lead, and transitioning to EV only vehicle platforms. They're not going to then rebuild their supply chain and manufacturing base to support liquid bio fuels, so IMHO that's a non-starter.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 24th August 2022, 02:08 PM

I agree that EV's are not the answer to saving the planet, but maybe a part way step to slowing 'global warming' as when you look at the emissions they create (based on how the energy conversion is sourced - Coal, Nuclear, Wind, Solar) per mile travelled it is certainly a lot less (and possibly net zero) than an equivalent ICE vehicle.

Though safe in the knowledge of 'doing your bit' to meet the 'net zero' target, most people conveniently forget the environmental cost impacts on mining of precious, not so precious elements and the energy required to convert these to the sum of all the parts of the comfy EV motor that they are currently cocooned in. Same to be said for any manufactured vehicle whether EV or ICE. Want to save the planet? Walk.

At least you could say EV's have less of an environmental impact over a given time after manufacture compared to ICE. It would also be interesting to see how 'recyclable' an EV is over an ICE vehicle.

The hunt/development of alternative fuels for ICE based vehicles is still ongoing and still needs to be, and although some countries around the world have signed up to the 'Green Mission' there is still a lot of lip service paid to these goals. Whilst our myopic focus is on the UK or the 'West' not every country has the infrastructure or finances to drive this agenda now or possibly in the next ten years at least, look at some of the poorest nations of this world.

EV's are another 'cleaner' form of tootling along the highways and byways of the land. Be happy with that. As for me, I am happy that more and more people are switching to EV technology and more than happy to be pacing along with an EV in my V8 as my piety leads me to believe they are contributing to offsetting my impact on the environment. Smug smiles all round.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 24th August 2022, 05:09 PM

Default Revised link that works

Web link now demunged:

https://synhelion.com/news/synthetic-fuels-explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
Well there are synthetic fuels being developed and can almost be deemed carbon neutral as they aren't always releasing new carbon into the atmosphere.

https://synhelion.com/news/synthetic-fuels-explained#:~:text=What%20are%20synthetic%20fuels%3 F,used%20all%20around%20the%20world.

Not sure what the future will end up being but currently battery seems to be the focus, recycling these will be the key and making sure they can be.
Old 30th December 2022, 03:51 PM

There's really no need to save the Planet- it's not in danger- thankfully.

Some facts:
97% of Greenhouse gasses are natural- the Anthropogenic component is therefore 3%.
Of which the UK produces circa 1%. So, if the UK goes 'Net zero', the best reduction we could hope for is 1% of that 3% (0.03%). Not 1% of it all.

There's been practically no warming since 2000- despite what you read. Google it if you like.

There was a rapid rise-about 0.6-0.8C in the period 1975-2000, and this triggered the whole AGW thing- but it's stopped.

Of the observed 0.6-0.8C , nobody knows how much would have happened anyway, and how much was us. As we continue to emerge from an Ice age, some warming must be expected, so it may even ALL have been natural.

CO2 levels today are 440ppm. Plants die if it goes below 160ppm. Farmers keep greenhouses at 1200ppm- if they add even more CO2, plants do even better, but it gets expensive, so 1200ppm, 3 times todays level, is optimum.

Get an EV if you like- but I don't see us all getting one anytime soon- I'll be keeping me S8 (and Tiger).

Happy New Year, and don't let the alarmists worry you!
Old 30th December 2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post
There's really no need to save the Planet- it's not in danger- thankfully.

Some facts:
97% of Greenhouse gasses are natural- the Anthropogenic component is therefore 3%.
Of which the UK produces circa 1%. So, if the UK goes 'Net zero', the best reduction we could hope for is 1% of that 3% (0.03%). Not 1% of it all.

There's been practically no warming since 2000- despite what you read. Google it if you like.

There was a rapid rise-about 0.6-0.8C in the period 1975-2000, and this triggered the whole AGW thing- but it's stopped.

Of the observed 0.6-0.8C , nobody knows how much would have happened anyway, and how much was us. As we continue to emerge from an Ice age, some warming must be expected, so it may even ALL have been natural.

CO2 levels today are 440ppm. Plants die if it goes below 160ppm. Farmers keep greenhouses at 1200ppm- if they add even more CO2, plants do even better, but it gets expensive, so 1200ppm, 3 times todays level, is optimum.

Get an EV if you like- but I don't see us all getting one anytime soon- I'll be keeping me S8 (and Tiger).

Happy New Year, and don't let the alarmists worry you!
Links as evidential support to your statements above would make your post more credible - otherwise it's a bit like Trump saying he had nothing to hide with his tax returns

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 31st December 2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 30th December 2022, 08:02 PM

As Tintin says, links to wherever you're getting your data will provide an opportunity to assess this issue for ourselves. Otherwise its just one person's word against (some very qualified) other person's words.
Old 30th December 2022, 09:12 PM

Earth is in danger of course: https://phys.org/news/2015-02-sun-wo...ion-years.html
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 31st December 2022, 08:03 AM

I'm not trying to convince you guys, but things are as I posted.

There is no climate emergency, or anything like it- the whole eco-thing is like a new religion.

The things I pointed out are not at all controversial- it's just that most people who support the idea that we control the climate have literally no idea what they are talking about.

It has warmed a little, but not much.

It does that here.

I suppose saying nothing has changed since 2000, could do with backing up, so try this link.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+close+to+zero

Last edited by Simon Wallwork; 31st December 2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 31st December 2022, 09:47 AM

I find it odd that even when someone provides a link to an official government website, it gets laughed at, because it doesn't go with the trend of "climate change/global warming" and mans destruction of the Earth. After all, government bodies always tell the truth... don't they!

Take two examples:
1. The current weather being experienced in the USA. A sure sign of man's interference in global weather! And yet they experienced something very similar in the 1970s.
2. The little ice age between the 14th and 19th centuries. A sure sign of man's interference! Are we supposed to them believe that we did something about it changed the weather.

Global weather patterns have been changing for thousands upon thousands of years, and will continue to do so. The only difference is that governments and the media continue this incessant fearmongering of doom and gloom, and a perfect example of this is the following list (not all weather related). It's not from an official government source, but all the sources are linked:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-ye...erts-are-0-50/

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds