A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th April 2017, 09:28 PM

Default Front arms saga

Just thought I would tell all of my experience on replacing all arms, I'm sure its been done before.
I bought the arms in various stages from Mister-auto TRW version.
All nuts and bolts track rod ends wheel bearing from TPS Peterborough.
Started with the N/S all still got Audi logo on and the top bolt would not move, So I thought I'd buy a large compressor with a Air hammer waste of money. Best thing is remove the hole lot from car then get angle grinder and remove top arms from knuckle also had to do this for the track rod end as the bolt on that was seized. Then with thin blade on angle grinder cut bolt in gaps for top arms, then tighten bolt and it should pull through, then do same again with nut and you should be left with a piece of bolt between the gaps. Now you need a drill and good Cobolt drill bits first ones from tool station took half a day. If I hadn't bought the compressor a new arm was on the cards at £300+vat got there in the end.
This one side took two days.
Now onto the O/S done at the weekend again remove all, this the bolt came out of the track rod end, the same procedure for the top bolt again, but this time with different drill bits much quicker half a day and should all be back together, no chance this time track rod end had seized on inner no spanner to fit the inner rod made a spanner using the grinder.
The nearest place on Saturday was Northampton G/S store. Fetched that start again next day.
The Cobolt drill bits are from www-hard-drills.com sizes we used were 4/8/10mm these were very good.
I had the use of a pit in my Brothers back garden still not Ideal, and his help some days.
Not sure if the wheel bearings needed to be done or not, bearings were £120 and they don't include the hub, so you need pullers and a press which work kindly had.
Car is now all tracked and seems quieter and solid.
Hope this may help some else, if not its a good laugh, the time alone could have bought another car with Audi's labour.
Now just got LED stripes to fit and door handle to paint that's for another section on the chrome trim to remove.

David