A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 18th August 2022, 09:28 PM

Default Climate controls reversed on screen but proper on dials

I have a left hand drive D3. When I operate the climate controls, they are reversed on the screen. ie, I operate the passenger side fan speed, seat ventilation or heating it says driver's side but it does indeed work for the passenger side. Can this be recoded with Ross Tech VCDS? It's not crucial this get done, but it annoys me a bit.
Old 19th August 2022, 11:52 AM

Check out the following thread which describes your exact scenario:

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/climate...eversed.25972/

Here is the relevant section about the MMI hidden menu:

You can test this by holding down the 'Setup' button on the console, then whilst continuing to hold it, press the 'Car' button for 5 seconds or so. If nothing changes on the MMI screen, it's not enabled.

If however the sequence above brings up a green screen with some unfamiliar (and largely German) options lists, then you may be in luck. You should see a 'Diag settings' option - select this and then you'll see further options in German including 'Car Menus Maske'. Click that and you'll see some interesting stuff like Battery level and, relevant to your particular question, 'Linslenker'. Checking/unchecking the Linslenker option will essentially reverse the relevant control functions left-right (and vice versa) to cater for left-hand drive/right-hand drive cars.

If the green menu isn't enabled, you can do so using VCDS with the following instructions. NB: You need to be on version 5570 of the MMI:
  • Click on module 07 – Control Head
  • Click on 'Adaptation - 10'
  • Select Channel 8
  • Read stored value. By default it should be 0
  • Change value to 1 and 'test' it
  • Read stored value. Now it should be 1
  • If successful, 'save' it
  • Click on 'Done, Go Back'

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th August 2022, 02:37 PM

I had a similar issue after the main dealer replaced the climate controls on my Q7, long story short, they hadn't been coded correctly and were at least partly coded for LHD in a RHD car. If you have VCDS, I'd suggest checking the coding
Old 26th August 2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Check out the following thread which describes your exact scenario:

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/climate...eversed.25972/

Here is the relevant section about the MMI hidden menu:

You can test this by holding down the 'Setup' button on the console, then whilst continuing to hold it, press the 'Car' button for 5 seconds or so. If nothing changes on the MMI screen, it's not enabled.

If however the sequence above brings up a green screen with some unfamiliar (and largely German) options lists, then you may be in luck. You should see a 'Diag settings' option - select this and then you'll see further options in German including 'Car Menus Maske'. Click that and you'll see some interesting stuff like Battery level and, relevant to your particular question, 'Linslenker'. Checking/unchecking the Linslenker option will essentially reverse the relevant control functions left-right (and vice versa) to cater for left-hand drive/right-hand drive cars.

If the green menu isn't enabled, you can do so using VCDS with the following instructions. NB: You need to be on version 5570 of the MMI:
  • Click on module 07 – Control Head
  • Click on 'Adaptation - 10'
  • Select Channel 8
  • Read stored value. By default it should be 0
  • Change value to 1 and 'test' it
  • Read stored value. Now it should be 1
  • If successful, 'save' it
  • Click on 'Done, Go Back'
Thank you for this.

I do not have the green menus and cannot figure out how to turn them on.

I have HEX-NET and an Android tablet but can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've never really used it except for viewing and clearing codes.

Do I require a PC and the software to be able to do this?

Thanks

Last edited by AlHeart; 26th August 2022 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Xx
Old 30th August 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlHeart View Post
Thank you for this.

I do not have the green menus and cannot figure out how to turn them on.

I have HEX-NET and an Android tablet but can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've never really used it except for viewing and clearing codes.

Do I require a PC and the software to be able to do this?

Thanks
If the HEX-NET you're referring to is a Ross-Tech hardware product, then there seems to be a Beta version of VCDS Mobile, according to the following page. That being the case, if it works the same as the PC version, then just follow the steps I outlined about to enable the green menu.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 31st August 2022, 03:39 AM

Quote:
If the HEX-NET you're referring to is a Ross-Tech hardware product, then there seems to be a Beta version of VCDS Mobile, according to the following page. That being the case, if it works the same as the PC version, then just follow the steps I outlined about to enable the green menu.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions
Thanks. I figured out how to enable the green menus. However I do not have the Car Menus Maske selection in the Diag settings menu.

How can I upgrade the MMI software version?

Amy other ideas?

Last edited by AlHeart; 31st August 2022 at 04:22 AM.
Old 31st August 2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlHeart View Post
How can I upgrade the MMI software version?
Check out the following page for full instructions:

http://mr-fix.info/mmi-2g-software-update-version-5570/

Old 5th September 2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Check out the following page for full instructions:

http://mr-fix.info/mmi-2g-software-update-version-5570/
Thanks, I will check it out.

It seems I have a very old version of the software,