A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 24th January 2024, 03:12 PM

Default D3 S8 - potentially ruinous now?

Mods please move if this is the wrong section…

I miss my D3 4.2tdi, it was replaced by an F11 535d as I hoped it would be more of a drivers car but even with the variable dampers it wallows and isn’t that cosseting in comfort+, and doesn’t handle that well in sport. Probably run flats are to blame, it’s reasonably quick similar to a remapped 4.2tdi but I’ve never bonded with it. Even the fabled ZF 8 speed is not enough to save it.

I’m thinking about an S8 V10 with 80k miles, great spec including B&O which I’ve always wanted. it’s a long way from me so haven’t been able to look at it, but I woke up in the night with all the stories of engine out jobs like starter motor, perished hoses, rear oil seal etc. With potentially no evidence of these being done if the car just has ‘regular’ servicing, are these issues inevitable between 80-100k? What can be checked visuals and what will only appear when things go wrong? Or do you buy one and find somewhere to take the engine out and do all the jobs at once - starter, all the gaskets, oil seal, pas pipes etc? The car is up for £12.5k
Old 24th January 2024, 04:44 PM

I bought mine with 114k on the clock. Intake manifold had been changed, as that is one of the possible issues, i.e. the plastic manifold flaps get brittle and break with disastrous consequences. The only other real issue mine had was when they did this, they didn't tighten one of the fuel pipes underneath the manifold, so it got a bit smelly at times. Other than reverting the aftermarket air suspension to stock air suspension, my only issues were caused by external forces, mother nature.

Would there be someone on the forum that is close to where the car is for sale? Would they be prepared to go check it out for you if you're really serious about it, and would they have VCDS, so they could scan it for issues, take it for a test drive, and scan it again to see if anything pops up?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 24th January 2024, 05:27 PM

The car is for sale in the Taunton area, so if there was an owner in that vicinity that knows this engine well that could be very useful. I actually have VCDS (albeit on a laptop that requires constant mains power, due to a duff battery) so could actually do this, if I went to see the car. In theory, I could get an AA type inspection, but they probably only look at the basics and I need someone with working knowledge of all of the common issues, gaskets etc and where to look.

It’s good to hear that your car is going well at that mileage. Did it come with stack of history or did you take a bit of a punt based on what you could see at the time?
Old 24th January 2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
It’s good to hear that your car is going well at that mileage. Did it come with stack of history or did you take a bit of a punt based on what you could see at the time?
Never had any issues that weren't self inflicted. Did a few retrofits, but had to sell it after 18 months. Not working, so couldn't afford to keep it. Everything I did with it is on the forum.

It did have some history, but was bought purely based on the For Sale photos on here. It was in London and I'm in Londonderry, so around 500 miles.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds