View Single Post
Old 20th April 2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian@A8Parts View Post
I'm sad to report that 7000 miles after this wonderful service, the gearbox in question started to develop faults much the same as any other box would at that age / mileage.

Whilst the ZF 'wonder-service' looked so, so impressive, our first impressions are now that perhaps its no more beneficial than a service by a good independent over here.

Perhaps, if serviced by ZF every 20-40K throughout its lifetime, then it may make a difference, but in reality many of these gearboxes dont get their first service until 100K plus miles, and it seems that damage is done by that point and the death of it is inevitable.

We are noticing (apart from the S8's) that the facelift gearboxes seem to last longer. We are thinking it may be due to the electronic throttle, which noticably backs off the engine during a gear change - Something that the pre facelift did not.... This is one of Davids theorys as hes very much pedal to the metal, and notices every split second that he's not on 'full throttle'... Since moving from a pre facelift to a post facelift, he's noticed this 'backing off' behaviour....
HI Ian,

Do you have a link of where the info was about the gearbox dying 7k miles later?

I was seriously thinking about going over there and doing that service as i'm off to holland soon and could swing by.

Would the changing of all the parts shown in that Bimmerboard write-up not help? The little ball and the piston they replaced were differently sized.

Gearbox pressure marble:

Main pressure piston:

I wonder if it's worth doing the service anyway

(a) to ensure the gearbox not only gets new fluid but the whole unit is thoroughly cleaned and

(b) the new parts should hopefully make the gearbox work better (why else change the parts unless it's an improvement on the old design?).

I'm not sure i get what actually goes wrong in the gearbox but what do you think...worth still doing at 76k or not?

Thanks,

oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group