View Single Post
Old 1st February 2009, 03:31 PM

Hi guys!

Again thanks for the numerous PMs and messages on this thread that you've sent and for your sympathy with it all.

Ian's got it pretty much spot on in terms of the maths on costs. The only way this could potentially still be saved is if i find the right cylinder head for a couple of hundred quid...but still there are no guarantees as they can't see if anything else caused it in the first place without having a head to test the engine with so it's still quite risky....not to mention a gearbox with 170k miles and so forth.

Going back to parts again...(please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about any of the techy stuff below):

I'm after part number 077103266MX and was found on some (but not all) AQG engines.

THis is what Mastertechs told me atleast but the part was found on A8s with the following chassis details

example chassis number:
WAUZZZ4DZXN007482

The number after the 'X' should be greater than 009000

or any 8s with a 'Y' chassis..

I've been looking at various options. I think that unless a replacement is found, that's the end of my current 8 as much as it hurts.

I've had a couple of grand in the bank which was meant for redoing the bathroom but given the choice i'd rather spend it on another 8 really. The only choice for me would be a nicely equipped FL 4.2 QS or a FL S8

I'm going to give Ian a ring about the silver 8 he's got on monday. I've also been toying with the idea of an S8....(yes mike,...i know you mentioned it before, i could well have my name on one) and have been looking on autotrader and eBay.

My first impression after having searched around a bit is 'where the hell have all the S8 and 4.2 A8s gone???? - there seem so few around.

There is one that i quite liked the look of (but would aim to haggle it down) and it's this one.

It is still for sale, has full audi service history (ok it probably means no gearbox service but i would get that done ASAP), it has the same colour interior as my current one (and so a possible adding of i.e. sunblinds (which it lacks) could easily be done, and it's based near birmingham. If i get a chance, i may go and see it on saturday...by train

Oh dear...what a drama all-in-all. I can't wait to be back on the road with an 8 soon. IF you know of any nice FL A8s or S8s around £5k or where you think it's close to that and worth a look - please feel free to post

Cheers,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 2nd February 2009 at 10:01 AM.