A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st December 2009, 05:50 PM
MyA8

Angry Battery drain

Hello there, my electrical problems continue to frustrate me! Although I am finally getting to grips with various ABS, oil level sensor type warning lights I am now experiencing a battery drain which has started recently when the car is left for more than a day or two.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that since the weather has turned it lets me down. Ever since I've had this car its had some sort of electrical issue and the radio still goes dead every other day and requires me to disconnect the battery and restart/reboot the engine. The battery is new with good connection.

I am beginning to think that all roads lead to Rome but want to avoid various diversions to correct the fault.

I am losing patience. That said I love the car!

Any advice appreciated. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2009, 06:52 PM

Hi mate,

Have you got Vag-com? - it might help shed some light on any open circuits perhaps.

-Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 1st December 2009, 06:58 PM
entwisi

check the alternator output, should be ~ 14.5V with the engine running, on mine ( where teh alternator had recently gone) when we disconnected the battery it dropped to 8-12 V)
There is also a connector on one of the chassis legs that I believe gets all corroded up. Check its all clean and good.

Are you SURE teh battery is good, I had similar when my battery was dying, clock resetting, sometimes starting fine other times wouldn;t even turn over and irrespective of how long it had been running or even how long since I'd turned it off.
Old 1st December 2009, 09:51 PM

This is the time of year when old batteries die... I'd get it checked over, especialy if it's a few years old.

I know.. I know..

Old 30th March 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
This is the time of year when old batteries die... I'd get it checked over, especialy if it's a few years old.
I think you have a fault with the Battery module in all honesty...
Old 16th March 2014, 10:37 PM

I am starting to wonder if my car has an insuffeicient battery. On eurocarparts there is a choice between an exide standard which I believe I have. Cost me £70/80 from the independent. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Au...697000f&000020

and also this battery. exide premium which says its for cars with more electrical equipment.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Au...fbfd7ed&000020

Since my new cheap battery in 2012 (it was coded) I have had slow cranking and battery drain issues. By battery drain issues I mean if sat in the car without engine running and some electrics on a battery warning light comes on. This is my battery

I remember audi quoting me £300 for a battery. I am sure audi supply Bosch batterys.

Whats everyones opinion on battery brands and going for OEM rather than cheap?
Old 17th March 2014, 06:41 AM

I had a Varta battery installed in my D3 3.7 back in December and its been fine and cost well in excess of £100. The CCA figure is whats important for starting, mine is a type 019 with a blue top.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 17th March 2014, 07:00 PM

I started to have problems with my original VARTA (actually second as was replaced under Audi warranty along with battery manager ECU)
I replaced it with a Varta Silver 110Ah, but continued to have lots of battery problems. In Novembebr I was stuck in a car park with a flat battery and it was going to be locked in a couple of hours, so caught a taxi to EuroCarParts and bought a Lion 95Ah AGM £139 on offer.

I've not had a single problem since and the crank speed is much more powerful than ever before.
I can only deduce I must have got a dud VARTA silver and would never buy another battery online by post again as it's impossible to get a warranty claim administered without hosing a fortune on 25Kg of hazourdous material postage only to probably have it rejected and be aksed to pay return postage.
Old 17th March 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
I think you have a fault with the Battery module in all honesty...
i agree with doc, you need a vcds check to see what software you have in the BEM as a starter
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom