A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th January 2011, 06:54 PM

Default MOT fail

last year i took my s8 to bradford audi for the anual mot. it passed with flying colours at a cost of "nothing".
this year i thought i would try my look again and took it back to bradford audi for my free mot. the only problem this year is it "failed". i was a bit peeded off cos it only failed on the brakes. they said i had less than 1.5mm of pad left on both my front and rear pads. they then wanted to fit new pads and recomended i also change my disks as a matter of course at a cost i would not dare ask !
so i removed my car from bradford audi, ordered some more "ebc yellow-stuff" pads and phoned our trusted mechanic ben. he had some spare time to fit my pads on saturday so off i went to daventry.
all was well until he took my old pads out. they were to say absolutly cream-crackered !

i know its hard to tell with these photos but as he took them out they just fell to pieces. i really needed new ones straight away.

i now just need wv pheaton brake cooling ducts and my bodywork repairing then i will be ready for this year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110115_001.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1573   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110115_002.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1574   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110115_004.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1575   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110115_005.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1576  
Old 16th January 2011, 07:12 PM

Hey Darren - that looks mentally low mate

Did it damage the discs at all or were they ok?

Bet the new brake pads are life-changing eh?

Oli

PS - off to Ben myself on Thursday...hoping to have my D3 S8 brake setup fitted ... fingers crossed

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 16th January 2011, 07:18 PM

My dear god, I can't believ you took pictures with Marks old Corsa in the back ground..... Can I please explaint that the cars were in cos we didn't bother taking them all out, I only went in to do Darrens S8, we've NOT started doing 1996 Corsas!!!!

Good to see ya Darren and your cars still lovely, can't wait till it's sorted
Old 16th January 2011, 08:45 PM

I need to get under mine and chech the brakes.

Was thinking about what i would do if they are low and I need to replace them, decided on sticking with whats there but decent pads, discs, and pheaton backplates is probably the most sensible for my normal road use.

How do you find the yellow stuff? they last long on the road and get hot enough OK? have you got them front and rear? and what discs are they?

Sorry about all the questions!

Old brakes looked cream-crackered!
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 17th January 2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo_Ben View Post
My dear god, I can't believ you took pictures with Marks old Corsa in the back ground..... Can I please explaint that the cars were in cos we didn't bother taking them all out, I only went in to do Darrens S8, we've NOT started doing 1996 Corsas!!!!

Good to see ya Darren and your cars still lovely, can't wait till it's sorted
Come on mate there’s no need to be embarrassed about your Corsa it’s a practical car, and looks to be in full rally spec.

And Darren
Old 17th January 2011, 05:38 PM

mr k
i am very impressed with the yellowstuff. they lasted me about a year with some very heavy breaking including a few laps of nurburgring and a few laps of castle combe. the disks i use are also ebc and are still in a good condition. the only time that i had a problem was at the ring when they got extremly hot but soon cooled down. just need some cooling ducts now
Old 18th January 2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks darren, Interesting stuff.

We will see what I need when I give it a check over. Im kind of hoping that it is all worn out so I can justify some new stoppers.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 2nd February 2011, 10:43 PM

Just booked mine in for a cambelt, thermostat and waterpump, service & alignment on Friday. I'm really starting to bond with it now, I gave some young cousons a lift home from the cinema and there were non stop "oohhs" as a blind popped down, the reverse cam came on and the rear seats reclined back into position after they got out the car. They thought it was the coolest car ever and I didn't even show them the 10 disc DVD changer
A forum member is going to view it on the weekend.

But I have got three trips to London to do in it before then, yes three!
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds